460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friend of mine SWEARS his 85 f350 has a dana 70, but my rear is identical to his and im tryin to buy my 5.13's now but now im cusious which rear end i have?? i went to the ford dealership for a diff cover and it was for a sterling so???

·
Registered
50 Posts
The sterling pan is wider than a 70 and the 70 looks a lot like a 60 just bigger. The only 70's they put in for those years were dully's all single wheels are sterlings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry guys but i have found some

sorry guys but i have found some dana 70s in the 1985 models. What they are, is a dana 70 1u they have dana 70 axel shafts dana 70 ring and pinion but the bearings in them are dana 60 size they have the most ground clearance, no ribbing on the pumpkin and the pumpkin is smooth and some what shaped like a pear hope this helps ive owned a couple myself

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't forget 10.25's have a reluctor ring pickup (speed sensor) in the top front of the axle also.... For the reluctor ring on the carrier.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i did notice the wife connecter on top of both mine and his, 12 bolt covers also, with a wide web piece comin off the punkin to to axle tube top and bottom both sides..
thats actually funny now cuz he thinks he's a ford genious know-it-all...
he said a ring and pinion for both sterling and d70 are the same. true or false?

·
Registered
136 Posts
yes i did notice the wife connecter on top of both mine and his, 12 bolt covers also, with a wide web piece comin off the punkin to to axle tube top and bottom both sides..
thats actually funny now cuz he thinks he's a ford genious know-it-all...
he said a ring and pinion for both sterling and d70 are the same. true or false?
FALSE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts