460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Looking for a water pump pulley for 1968-69 429 tj. Having one in hand will allow me to start a project. Thanks!
You are retaining the short nosed water pump and matching damper with pulley groove?

I will look through my stash. I have complete bracket and pulley sets for 70 and up but just bits and pieces for the 68 and 69's.

SJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’d be a huge help if you found anything. The motor came to me with a crank pulley on it (internal balancer I believe) but is missing the water pump pulley and brackets. My project can get going once the missing stuff is sourced. Thank you for your help for sure

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
....but yes, I have the old short nose water pump in hand and I assume the current crank pulley is stock.
That is the early damper.

I'm still looking. Many boxes stashed away.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do you really need the short water pump? Is it going back in a T Bird or Lincoln,etc? If not,might be easier to get the whole setup from a later motor. The brackets and pulleys that go with the short pump are unique. Guys have them laying around but don't know it.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have two complete 68 T-bird water pump set ups with timing cover, and crank mounted power steering pumps with pulleys and fluid reservoirs on my shelf. Both in greasy take-off condition.

It's the same pump that was used on Boss 429's, so you're not likely to find one cheap unless the seller doesn't know what they have.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have two complete 68 T-bird water pump set ups with timing cover, and crank mounted power steering pumps with pulleys and fluid reservoirs on my shelf. Both in greasy take-off condition.

It's the same pump that was used on Boss 429's, so you're not likely to find one cheap unless the seller doesn't know what they have.

C8SE-8505 pumps are getting harder to find and do fetch around $200, if your lucky for a core.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
I checked and I do NOT have the proper wp pulley.
I've attached a pic of a 1969 429 pulley / bracket set up. Dual alternator belt, p/s belt and AC as well.
Second pic shows the install of the original alternator dual pulley.

What is your application? If not going back into a 68 or 69 vehicle you can use the later water pump, damper, pulleys and brackets which I have along with a thompson power steering pump.

The 460s in the Lincolns utilized a crank driven PS pump and reservoir with a different front cover, crank spacer, accessories and brackets. Scratch that idea.

The last pic is of the later brackets and pulleys for a 1970 to mid 70s application with a york a/c compressor.
These are on my LTD and sourced from a 1970 Thunderbird. Also found in full size to about mid 70's. The thunderbird and Lincolns started using a GM style a/c compressor and p/s pump in 1972.

I will post the remaining pics in another reply.

SJ
used 2b RHP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Pics showing brackets, pulleys and alternator / WP on my LTD with out Fan in the way. Later long style.

SJ

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts

Carl,those setups work great for a Fox swap.You can get a big ol fan and clutch behind a perf type radiator with the stock shroud. The ps pump itself...not so good.They won't handle much rpm and had a complete car oil down to prove it.You use the balancer,wp pulley,crank pulley,alt brackets,standard timing cover,cut about 1/4 off the crank spacer and you're in business.You have to get creative with the power steering but I went with an electric deal that works great.
Jack at Dead Nuts On has the rebuild kits for the short pump.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Scotty,you're gonna hate that Thompson pump before it's all over with.

I've had spectacular luck with the thompson p/s pumps. It is the later pumps that are noisy and troublesome in my experience.

That Thompson pump has been on the car for 7 years and is the original to the car from 1973.

Crank driven are an option when you can properly reseal etc...

SJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Do you really need the short water pump? Is it going back in a T Bird or Lincoln,etc? If not,might be easier to get the whole setup from a later motor. The brackets and pulleys that go with the short pump are unique. Guys have them laying around but don't know it

Thanks for the reply. It's a 68 429 out of a Tbird. It's going in a 1975 F250. The 1975 had the 460 option so I'm sure the long nose would fit. I just have no idea what to do to switch it from a short nose to a long nose. Haven't been able to find a write-up it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've attached a pic of a 1969 429 pulley / bracket set up. Dual alternator belt, p/s belt and AC as well.

What is your application? If not going back into a 68 or 69 vehicle you can use the later water pump, damper, pulleys and brackets which I have along with a thompson power steering pump.

The 460s in the Lincolns utilized a crank driven PS pump and reservoir with a different front cover, crank spacer, accessories and brackets. Scratch that idea.

It's going in a 1975 F250, which had the 460 option, so the long snout should fit in there. Not sure what I need to do to "update" it but will definitely need to get whatever is needed! I'm new to this stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts

It's going in a 1975 F250, which had the 460 option, so the long snout should fit in there. Not sure what I need to do to "update" it but will definitely need to get whatever is needed! I'm new to this stuff.

Cost effective aluminum brackets and pulleys.

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford/ford-big-block-429-460/

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts