460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Easy one...

For a drag only car, I'd use an automatic with a properly selected stall converter (5kish) and a transbrake.

Engine is right on top of the peak power band from launch to lights; pretty hard to beat that with a stick unless it's one of those hybrid deals running a converter. I've seen a setup that was wicked fast than ran a high stall converter, transbrake, and a lenco...all custom. Was very strange sounding going down the track; the rpm moved maybe 200rpm the whole run.

Anyway, the point is...to go fast you want to get the engine to its power band and stay there the whole run. A stall converter and automatic generally does a better job of it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
VS.

With a conventional Jerico 4-speed you will have to use either the clutch, or blip the throttle for every up-shift while making a pass, both will chew-up some E.T.

Last I heard a regular (drag) Jerico can be sent back to them, and for a chunk of $$$ they will convert it to a full clutchless setup (no idea on the HP/TQ rating after conversion) so it will work similar to a Liberty trans. An adjustable/slider single or dual disk clutch is a good idea for the clutchless shifting setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts