460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flipped over to the Nascar race(why I don't know :roll: !) and saw Dale Jarrett on a UPS commercial. Anyway, I was just thinking about how UPS is always got the humurous UPS vans as racers...then I realized that maybe they would have better results if they were racing the vans instead of the Toyotas :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Nascar nearly makes me SICK anymore! Only amounts to a Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota sponsored IROC race. :cry:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yeah and did u see how Chevy had their new engine in a few of the cars....guess they had to steal a few more Ford ideas.....I remember when the Fords could not even get parts approved for use.....and when they did they blew the chevies off the track and everybody went into an uproar.........now the chevies are dominating and nobody says a word..........and Nascar is working on a "spec" engine for the cars.....going downhill ever faster...............D

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I believe that for some reason Nascar has "jumped the shark" and I'm not sure why..... I really think that the big problem has been that they just have way too much money...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
OK Dave - you stumped me .

What does "jumped the shark" mean?

It is a real shame - NASCAR racing used to have character - good old boys doing the right thing on and off the track. If that meant kicking somebody's *** for being a jerk - then so be it. Now with all the corporate sponsorship and imaging - it has lost is sole.

I used to follow it real close - now it is on but I am always doing something else while it is background noise.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
The term "jump or jumping the shark" means that something, a company, an organization, anything really has gone past the point of no return and is now hopelessly unrealistic and beginning it's slide into oblivion.

This term comes from a Happy Days episode where Fonzie is water skiing while wearing his leather jacket and he jumps over a shark clearly indicating that the writers of the show were out of ideas and going for even the most silly things to keep it going....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
DaveMcLain said:
I believe that for some reason Nascar has "jumped the shark" and I'm not sure why..... I really think that the big problem has been that they just have way too much money...
I'm familiar with the term..

Congrats, you made me choke and spit Mountain Dew on the work keyboard..
:lol:

·
Registered
545 Posts
DaveMcLain said:
Yep, I think that sums it up about right.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Bret Powell said:
Dave, have you heard if Nascar is working on a spec engine? :roll:
Lets see it was about 6 months ago when Roush racing had Anthony Shepherd (Sorry about the spelling of his name) out at our test tack, they were testing the C.O.T and cooling with different trans coolers and radiators.

I was talking with the guy's that were there and they were talking about Nascar going to a spec engine!! They said around 2009 maybe,?? No-one had a for-sure idea of when and who's engine?? Will it be a Chevy? a Dodge? A Ford?? Who will build these engines? I'll get more info when Roush comes out in May to do some more testing!!

cheers

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Why qualify..

Why bother to qualify then? Just line up the cars and everyone can draw a number out of a hat. :roll: I always said that NASCAR is a sport for people who don't know anything about cars. It's a high speed soap opera with some car sounds in the background. I'll stick to drag racing, because they will let me take my junk onto the same track that John Force was on last week. Last time I asked, Richmond International Raceway wasn't allowing the local rednecks to have an opportunity to make a few test laps in their pickup trucks. :p :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts