460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jon Kaase 460 hemi stroked to 572. I want to know if this engine would fit in a 2000 to 2003 Ford Mustang gt. I am well aware that Jon put one in a 2008 Ford Mustang but I need a car that is at least 20 years old to classify as a classic car to avoid smoging issues. Thanks!

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
765 Posts
You'll have to go to a tubular k-member, use one for a 94-95 sn-95, (yours is still a new edge right?) This way you can use Ford or D&D motor mounts. There are many BBF Foxbody oil pans out there, just need to find one that will clear your stroker. Headers will have to be a custom made affair tho, nobody has those on a shelf that I know of.. If you just need to put it in a 20 year or older car a Foxbody will do nicely too!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your informative reply. If you were to personally do this what specific mustang would you use/buy? Also taking into consideration the rear suspension system to handle about 850 to almost 900hp. I'm looking for one that does not require any interior work like the gagues, seats and other items that are already done. Also, this will be an automatic transmission with manual valve body. Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Personally, I've got a 90 LX so for me it's a Foxbody, but right now you can get a 94-95 fairly cheap, (redheaded stepchildren in the mustang world) the sn-95 has a lil bit longer wheelbase so there's that, but everything else is the same as a 79-93 mustang. Do the subframe connectors, upper and lower suspension reinforcements, along with tubular control arms (adjustable if you wanna get into it), do a coil over front suspension to save some weight in the front. Since you wanna run an automatic, which is the best way to go IMHO, use a built C-4. You can get those built proper with a reverse valve body and a trans brake that will handle 1200 hps with a lifetime guarantee and yes they are available with a BBF Bell housing. The 8.8 rear end when treated with the proper gears, axles, and differential is more than adequate for the power range your talking about. With the proper build, as long as the suspension is done right, the upper and lower torque boxes are reinforced the way they should be, frame connectors welded in proper, ect,ect you get the idea... You'll be able to beat on it and it'll do well.. Of course you'll find things to work on as you go.. But that's the fun part, Right??

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ooop, almost forgot, with that power level you'll need to beef up the fuel supply as well!! You'll need to run new fuel lines, at the very least go with -6 AN feed and return lines, -8AN would prolly be better on the feed side. Get a bigger fuel pump, according to how your build goes is how much fuel it'll need, and you may have to change out the fuel hanger in the fuel tank to go with the bigger lines. Watch out for bigger amperage draw on the fuel pump as well. This is where you find out that relays are your friend. There's a thread on fuel pump relays going on right now on this forum that may help.. It's all part of a system... You can't just toss a big engine in the car and call it done.. there's a lot more that goes with it as well..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What is the intended use of this vehicle?

I really hope this doesn’t like I’m being a dick but if you really have a hemi headed 572 and don’t know what you want to put it in or are unsure about other modifications that you may need to do i think you might want to look into a different hobby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cars are my hobby and have been since I was 17. My first car was a 1965 Mercury Comet 289-Hy-Po. I've had many "Muscle Cars" and all of them have been fords/Mustangs and even had an aftermarket cobra built with a real 427 Fe engine. I also had two 1970's 428 Mach 1 Mustangs. I got back into cars after I served in Vietnam in 1968. Trust me, I'm blessed that I can even have cars after being over there.

Right now I have a 1964 Ford Falcon which was built 25 years ago. It has a real 427 Fe stroked to 482. It puts out around 625 or so hp. I've won many awards with the car. And here's a photo of the 460.
This engine has been complete and has been in my shed the last two years. I'm ready to due something with it and was exploring the idea of putting it into a newer car. This why I'm asking questions. I have an excellent mechanic that knows what he is doing. He raced on Street Outlaws last year. And no, your not a "D***.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice lil Falcon!!! With that one and the 428 Mach 1's you know a lil bit aboot cramming 10 gallons of "stuff" in a 5 gallon bucket!! Good looking Boss too! I'm really looking forward to seeing your build! I really hope you do a build up thread on it here that would be really cool! Also, really glad you're not doing the "let's stick a turbo LS in a Foxbody" thing.. That realllllly pi$$es me the frack off! Your blood must run Ford blue by the builds you've done, and BTW, thank you for your service sir! My son-in-law is in the Navy and currently stationed in San Diego!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Personally, I've got a 90 LX so for me it's a Foxbody, but right now you can get a 94-95 fairly cheap, (redheaded stepchildren in the mustang world) the sn-95 has a lil bit longer wheelbase so there's that, but everything else is the same as a 79-93 mustang. Do the subframe connectors, upper and lower suspension reinforcements, along with tubular control arms (adjustable if you wanna get into it), do a coil over front suspension to save some weight in the front. Since you wanna run an automatic, which is the best way to go IMHO, use a built C-4. You can get those built proper with a reverse valve body and a trans brake that will handle 1200 hps with a lifetime guarantee and yes they are available with a BBF Bell housing. The 8.8 rear end when treated with the proper gears, axles, and differential is more than adequate for the power range your talking about. With the proper build, as long as the suspension is done right, the upper and lower torque boxes are reinforced the way they should be, frame connectors welded in proper, ect,ect you get the idea... You'll be able to beat on it and it'll do well.. Of course you'll find things to work on as you go.. But that's the fun part, Right??
Werecow, where can you get a C4 that handles 1200hp and lifetime guarantee?

Down here we have many going with C10 in SBF, but have problem's in higher hp & tq builds.Need to freshen more often.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
765 Posts
Performance Automatic C4 Super Comp PA 26107 $4336 from Summit it's got a 1000 hp rating and a lifetime warranty. As of now they show a Jan 10 delivery date but I'd say if you call Performance Automatic direct you may get it a lil sooner. It comes without bell housing or converter. Here's the link to it on Summit's website.

I've looked over one of these before, if I had the $$$$ and was gnna get into 1/4 or 1/8 racing heavy with my car I'd seriously consider one..

Edit: aslo found the PA 26111 has a lifetime warranty and rated for 1000 hps....

Edit: edit..PA 26108 is available now! 1000 hp rating lifetime warranty, $3763! No trans brake tho, but does have reverse valve body, available at Summit!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Those lil C-4's are like a Powerglide! Build em with the right parts and they are dang near indestructible!! Just need a lil freshen up every now and then, and go back out and beat in em some more!! What I've read on the ones with that warranty, ppl will get one for the car, when it starts to go, they buy another one, send the first one in on warranty to be rebuilt and use the new one.. That way they've always got a fresh one ready to go and one they can send in when it's ready!! @jamesb sorry to sidetrack your thread aboot C-4 tranny's!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the hooker swap headers on my 460 swap.2000 model mustang.2" primary and tight as he'll around the steering shaft. Those hemi heads use the same gaskets so they should fit. And if they have the higher exhaust ports that would be nice because mine hang pretty low.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Swap over to a steering shaft that's got a u-joint instead of a rag joint in it, and one that has a slip joint. Maximum motorsports has one that will fit Foxbody's and SN-95's but they're really proud of it. You can find the u-joint and a slip joint on eBay or azamon and weld your own. That'll give you a lot more room around the steering shaft for headers, and it'll give you room if you need to drop the k-member as the stock one won't work even at 1/2 inch drop... It's a lil sketch... Ask me how I know!!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
That works! You could even from there go with an engine plate to simplify your headers, and you wouldn't have to do motor mounts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok boys, after an extensive search I just bought the following car to put this bad boy motor in. It's a 2003 Ford Mustang GT in great condition. Motor has 98,000 miles on her but I'm not concerned. If you look real close at the side doors the pinstripping says, "BOSS." What a coincidence!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts