460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice 351C motor that I had plans to put on some ported Aussie 2V heads (to replace the open chamber 2V heads on there now) to gain compression and (hopefully) stop the pinging.

I took these heads to a well known porter for CNC porting because I just dont have the time to sit there and grind on them at home.
Anyways, the porting shop says $500 for the porting, and they said they can open up the valves for 4V size (2.19/1.71) at no extra cost.

They told me they sometimes hit water on these heads, and that its been 50/50 for them regarding this issue.

I made the mistake of saying "okay" :roll:

When I got them back, they looked really nice, but I failed to look very closely.

Well, they had pinholes in every intake port!! One of them, I pressed a screwdriver against one of the pinholes, and it broke thru the port wall casting and now that port has a 1/4" inch hole in it!!

Im sure they can be brazed up and repaired because the intake side runs cooler and there is coolant on the backside of the port wall, but at this time Im just upset at the whole thing.

I feel like I now have a $700 set of junk heads (I paid $200 for them)

I do not put any blame on the porter because he warned me beforehand that it could happen. I should have told him to CNC port the ports, but leave the valve bowls the stock size!!

Live and learn, I guess :roll:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Want some 4V heads?

I have a set of 4V heads for a 351C that have had some work done to them by a reputable shop 15+ years ago and were intended for a car owned by a a friend of mine that passed away. I can send you pictures if you're interested, they are not doing me a lot of good...so if you want them, make me a decent offer.

Byron

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Byron, I already do have several sets of 4V's, but I wanted to use Aussie 2V's on this particular motor because I already have the intake and headers that match 2V size ports.

I suppose I'll just attempt to braze them myself...I've done it before on a set of full race ported Mopar W-2 heads that we hit water on in the exhaust ports :shock:
They've been going strong now for 10 years, so these should'nt be too bad...it still sucks though!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune.

If they are hitting water on 50% of the heads they're doing.... I wonder why they haven't adjusted the CNC program to correct this.

I had to braze a Windsor ex port once, and it held fine for many years. But if you have a large area of paper-thin iron, it's going to be a PITA. Good luck. Maybe braze it and a thin coat of epoxy just for insurance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts