460 Ford Forum banner

Just an autocross video, kinda.

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Dukeofdiamonds 
#1 ·
I stumbled across this video and thought it was pretty cool. Not a ford, but with a user name like moparman, could you expect anything else???
Anyway, thought some of you might like it just cause it's cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4XsO-CoRpE

#4 ·
I agree... Drifting has got to be one of the dumbest activities affiliated with motorsports... Also, JMHO...

Doug... 8)

#9 ·
Personally, I don't mind drifting because I love the feeling of being thrown sideways when accelerating!
However, that was not a true drifting video and as usual, the video was too long. (People like videos that 'get to the point' and aren't repetitious.)

#11 ·
richter69 said:
Again this is nothing personal towards the poster, I know stuff has been out of hand lately so just wanted to make that known.

I'm just too "old school", hell I dont even like the Nascar crap either.
X2

Doug... 8)

#13 ·
"Drifting" :roll: is what a drag car does when it gets out of the groove down track and slides/moves around, it should be avoided at all costs :lol: .

#14 ·
the point of the post was to show a car that I thought was cool, doing something that it was never intended to do in a sport (and I agree that drifting is about the stupidest thing ever) that is mostly import dominated. But since it was obviously such a "waste of bandwidth", I will do my best to keep from posting anything I think might be different in the future.
Can't you just take a cool video of a cool car for what it is?
and I'm shaking my head at your "humble" opinions.

#15 ·
No offense intended, but I stand by my opinion that the vid is in fact a waste of bandwidth.

The car isn't even cool, it's not even assembled completely. The display of drifting was incredibly lame as well. Just more ammo for the ricers to use against domestic power.

I will admit the engine sounds great, though.

Greg

#19 ·
ok.... i took an open minded aproch to this,being old school but do like some of the new stuff(ama super bikes i own a busa)do like some drifting butt this is absolutly boring,who in the hell take a freakin superbird slams it and goes driftring,only thing that car was lacking was some 24'' bling for some wheels,nothing against you at all moparman.the owner of this car should be castrated and mopar man you should be offended as well,hell you get the knife.ive seen some of the newer mustangs do some drifting and i will say this it is pretty damn impressive to have all that power AND control.like i said nothing against you at all mopar,but the owner of the superbird should be kicked(quite hard) in the nards.

#20 ·
As previously stated, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I've seen another video of this car where it didn't have any body panels at all. Looks to be an old stock car that's getting rebuilt. Don't know why it's so low, but I still think it's kinda cool. Personally if I had that car, it'd be about 2 - 3" higher and I'd be road racing it. I didn't realize that it wasn't a drifting competition until I noticed that there weren't any slide marks in the turns until after this car went through. Perhaps it may have avoided some controversy if I had labeled the post "an autocross practice session". Perhaps not. Doesn't really matter, I'm hoping the post will get closed now as the old adage, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" apparently is no longer practiced. While I'm guilty of it as well, I usually only do it when I'm trying to help someone else avoid making the mistakes I did in buying parts from a certain vendor.
Anyway, wish I had never posted this one at all.

#21 ·
Moparman - With all us "old timers" I didn't figure that it would get a prized reveiw. :)

Sorry for the neg comments I didn't mean to offen you. My disrespect for "drifting" come from being a racing/Dad that had a son that raced enduro/sprint clutch and shifter karts sence he was a small boy. A sport were complete contol, flawless driving and chassis/ tire management is the key to being fast/succsessful.

Like I stated I am generally "open minded" to all motorsports. But the whole concept of "being in control when your out of control" make absolutly no sence to me. I really would rather watch " golf/basketball" and "trust me" if I am down to that, then the drifting dosent have much entertainment value for me. :wink: :lol:

#22 ·
BLA BLA BLA~~~

Everyone is starting to sound like a bunch of old hens in an old hen house with no roster around!!!

If this little video is going to get people all fired up and start a pissing match "THEN DON'T REPLY TO THE POST"!!!!!

Moparman was only showing a cool *** old school car doing stuff that you and I wouldn't or couldn't do!!! Get over it!!! IMO :twisted:

I would of loved to seen the looks on the faces of all the other racers when that car fired up!!! :wink:

#23 ·
In the comments for the video, the YouTube poster states that the front end is removed in order to facilitate steering angle adjustments....apparently a testing session.

This may also explain why the driver is not really making a serious attempt...he's just playing around, getting a feel for what's been changed.

I would never classify autocross as silly...true "drifting" is not my thing, but autocross, on the other hand, takes both skill & intelligent preparation. The only thing "silly" about this (if one wants to look at it this way) is that it is much easier to use a smaller & lighter car...as power is not nearly as much a factor as handling & weight distribution. But, if someone wants to use a bigger car & can get the extra bugs worked out, more power to 'em. :)

This may have not been the best of introduction videos to autocross, but, that's not the point Moparman was trying to make...it's an old, rare car, worth some money, that's actually being used for something. :)

There is a number of guys around here who do autocross with first-gen Camaros, and a Challenger which is a serious piece. There was a '69 Mustang as well, but I haven't seen it for awhile.

In the States, we also tend to view rallying & hillclimbs with disdain as well...I defy anybody to give either one a fair, sincere try, and not get out of the car saying words to the effect of "Holy crap! That was fantastic!" , with an ear-to-ear grin.

I'm saying all this as someone who has been involved in drag racing, dirt track racing, & tractor pulling, three of the most "American" motorsports there are...but we don't have an exclusive license on "cool". :wink:

#25 ·
i thought it was alright, and funny. i used to autocross my old mustang myself, its a ball and teaches you to be a better driver.

on one occasion, my dad's car was in the shop so he ran the rental car, a dodge neon, nothing better than thrashing a rental car :twisted: and everyone cheered for him. i seem to remember one guy running a suburban because his car was down too, having an unfinished or busted car is no reason to not have fun out on the course. i for sure think my unfinished car is cool, hell it was cool when i pulled it out of a field with 4 rotted flats for 200 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.