460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ,guys I'm going to pro street my 66 Comet. I want to drive on the street some and bracket race it too. Which one will be better for a street car/bracket car? I'm not sure on the motor yet, I mave leave the 390 in it or maybe put a 385 series in it. If I leave the 390 , low 8's will be about all it'll run. But I may opt to a 385 type if I sell my Mustang and make it my footbrake car, then I'd say high 6's will be in order. Just wanting to know which would be better on the street in a 3600lb car? Thanks..:)

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've saw people do both with street/strip cars...never really heard anyone complain about either. I would look at what you think will be the best set-up for the car in race trim.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the foxbody's are set up on a 4link design, and they seem to work good. I know my Tbird(4link) seems to be softer than my ladder bar set up on my mustang. I'm kinda leaning towards a 4-link ,they're the same price.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey, Dan: How about showing us some pic's of your Comet? As for your question, go with an adjustable four bar with a panhard bar, they're infinitely more adjustable than a ladder bar setup, and they ride better. I've been running a four bar in my 50 Ford pro street coupe since 1999, and I love it!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I guess I'm an oldschool ladderbar guy.

Car has left like its on a string from the day I put um on.

4 link has more adjustability, but if you run on familiar tracks with it then its a non issue really.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I got a buddy with a 67 coupe, puts thousands of miles a year on his 4 speed ladderbar car a year.

It wont handle like a European sports car, but any typical drag car won't anyway.

If you do be sure its got the safety loops on it...........;)

·
8,522 Posts
Here is a good hooking ladder bar unit ! It's all about how hard one thinks and works on what they have .....this is a RULES dictated deal. 4 link has more potential...think/work...it all works .

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a ladder bar coil over that is problem free for 9 yrs on the street. I had the diag. link initially. Cornering was cautious. I changed it to a wish bone on top of the housing and if the car gets sideways, it is fun to drive. Tires don't rub. Keep the power on and it will straighten out nicely. Years ago it was explained to me by G. Alston that it is really the same performance wise. The dbl. adj. ladder is an excellent link. Why have more ends to replace with the 4 link? The 4 link gives the adjustibility to meet changes/ needs for lots of different tracks. Once the dbl. adj. ladder is set up properly, the adj. range is more than adequate for most. I used the big solid ends. The bars are relic Don Hardy with the big ends. I drove the car several time so far today. Such is the summer. Tres.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
As long as room isn't an issue, I would personally run Ladder Bars over 4-link for a couple of different reasons,.........

Ease of install & less room for error on adjustability. If set up correctly there's little to no difference in performance. Also,.....most of the tracks that I frequent have specific rules outlawing 4-links in certain classes, but do allow Ladder Bars.

I remember when I was contemplating a suspension for the rear of my truck when I was first building it and there was several of my racing buddies running 4-links. They thought I was nuts even thinking about using Ladder Bars,..........

Well, fast forward a few years and I have helped with measurements/specs on two different vehicles and another one of those guys I was refering to is switching his 4-link over to Ladder Bars as we speak.

·
Registered
346 Posts
4 link/ladder bars

the 4 link will work the best on the street because you can spread the bars much like the factory fox cars etc ,and the car will be very streetable (esp if you use teflon lined joints for quietness) but if its gonna be a race car that you drive on the street a little it wouldnt matter as much.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Here is a compromise of both. You don't need any kind of locator either, track bar or wishbone is out the window. I personally installed one on a freinds car almost 2 years ago, although he lost motivation and our cars are about in the same state ;) , I think I left my motivation over there as well :)

www.ultralinksuspension.com

Travis

Oh yeah, I just clicked the link to see if it worked and another friend of mine, Kenny's Green
Swinger is on the front page now, and hes using 29.5 X 10.5W tires also. ;) It is a high 8 second 1/4 mile car.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Here is a good hooking ladder bar unit ! It's all about how hard one thinks and works on what they have .....this is a RULES dictated deal. 4 link has more potential...think/work...it all works .

One should also mention that its a NO WHEELIE BARS class too. ;)

Travis

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here is a compromise of both. You don't need any kind of locator either, track bar or wishbone is out the window. I personally installed one on a freinds car almost 2 years ago, although he lost motivation and our cars are about in the same state ;) , I think I left my motivation over there as well :)

www.ultralinksuspension.com

Travis

Oh yeah, I just clicked the link to see if it worked and another friend of mine, Kenny's Green
Swinger is on the front page now, and hes using 29.5 X 10.5W tires also. ;) It is a high 8 second 1/4 mile car.
Sounds like you should have done Your car first instead of his.:D
That is a killer looking set-up...I've never saw one before.:cool::cool: Judging by that Swinger, they work! Thanks for posting that link...you may have just cost me some more money.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts