460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been learning to TIG weld for a week and a half now. Boy this takes patience! My teacher says I am getting pretty decent with mild steel so now I am easing into chromoly. It took me a few days to get the feel of dipping the filler rod into the kernel and not touching the tungsten.

I feel good about learning a new skill at 35!

Sorry just felt like sharing!

·
Registered
666 Posts
A new skill is always good I am 28 and learning every day lol...
My father and i own a fab shop and I am constantly learning new things from my old man it's great that is something that can never be taken from me.
I'm always down to learn from anybody young or old

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have wanted to learn for quite awhile, I almost went out and bought my own machine just so I would be able to learn but was a little scared I might not be able to "get" it and be out a bunch of money. Luckily I haven't had to buy my own yet but I am thinking it would be a good investment now ;) .

·
Registered
666 Posts
I understand that, it's a learning curve but it's knowledge and that is power and perfect practice makes perfect. Best part is your learning from some one that can teach you and if you get your own machine you will only get better.

Good luck with your experience ,

·
Registered
228 Posts
eric, for giggles ask your instructor when do you get to play with a foot pedal with hi frequency start voltage. bobn
I assume he's learned on a HF start machine? With today's invertor machines I can't imagine he's scratch starting.

Good for you Eric. I'm hunting a Diversion 180 as I type. Learned to TIG years ago; I can do it fairly decent but I ain't no pro that's for sure :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have wanted to learn for quite awhile, I almost went out and bought my own machine just so I would be able to learn but was a little scared I might not be able to "get" it and be out a bunch of money. Luckily I haven't had to buy my own yet but I am thinking it would be a good investment now ;) .
Erick,
I have a nice TIG welder for sale and will give you all day (8 hours if you like) instruction with the purchase. And, you can call with follow up instruction. Be carefull when looking at the Inverter type units, most work well but have short duty cycles and struggle with aluminum and Magnesium because of power required too weld it. I have 30 years + of custom welding background. Near St Charles, IL.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the offer Chuck, I am gonna hold off awhile on buying one but I can buy the one I have been using for what the Welders Supply would give him on trade in allowance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mostly working.Brian lost 127 pound's he's lighter then me.He's been working his *** off,and it show's.i'm so happy for his success.other than that,got Hemi on my mind.;)

Good luck too you bro on your stang and the new motor,fun times for shure.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mostly working.Brian lost 127 pound's he's lighter then me.He's been working his *** off,and it show's.i'm so happy for his success.other than that,got Hemi on my mind.;)

Hemi....sounds expensive

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tig Welding is deffinitely an art,.........and a tough one to master, if I do say so myself.

I'm self taught for a couple of years now. I cut my teeth on a cheap off-shore 185a AC/DC inverter unit. Sold it a while back and picked up a Thermal Arc 186 on Black Friday for an awesome deal.

I like it so far,.......but just like any Tig, aluminum stuff is another world. LOL

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looked at them. Nice unit. I "was" hunting a Diversion 180 but have since went to a AHP ALPHATIG 200DX. Yes Chinese but the guy seems to have his head on correct. Standard parts, great reviews on welding Web and Weld.com, and affordable @ 750$. Saw one in action and it'll hang with the Blue and Red machines.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Tell him I said congrats. I thought you had decided to go A460 style heads.

Thank you, it's come a long way so far. I made a deal today with my chassis guy to do some labor in trade for my ARB, and parachute mount, and also going to move the lower control arm brackets in on my housing to make sure there is enough room once I do the mini-tub.

It took me a couple days to get it but all of the sudden something just clicked and I got my timing right and started laying down some nice looking welds (on flats), it took more practice to get used to letting off slowly at the end of a weld so as to not leave a crater/divit. I have been practicing on round tube that takes a little to get used to.

I do love how easy it is to fix the cosmetics of a weld if needed compared to a MIG. ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Being able to fill the weld all the way to the end makes the weld look 10x better doesn't it. It took me forever to get my foot to coordinate with my hand and eyes lol....

Got a buddies 91 hatch done sat night took it for test drive its a small block and a lot of nitrous now it's back out changing pistons going twin turbo I swear every time the wind blows so does his mind lol...

A dart headed 427w with 250jets is nasty on a ol country back road I asked him how much more he wants he said he don't know till he feels it. Hey it's his money not mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts