460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Yup, Lem has been on the ball! I have been buying what stuff I can from him.

I debated and debated,, if I should go with the Kaase oil pump for my build. But after a long thoughts and Lem and I talking. I decide that my build would be just fine with a FRPP oil pump. I really wanted that Kaase pump though!

What made you decide to get it? I fiqured if I had a nice forged crank, solid roller and aluminum heads I'd go for it. Which now that I think about it I'm glad I went with the High volume oil pump. It will be interesting to know how much oil pressure I would loose feeding the turbo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jones said:
Yup, Lem has been on the ball! I have been buying what stuff I can from him.

I debated and debated,, if I should go with the Kaase oil pump for my build. But after a long thoughts and Lem and I talking. I decide that my build would be just fine with a FRPP oil pump. I really wanted that Kaase pump though!

What made you decide to get it? I fiqured if I had a nice forged crank, solid roller and aluminum heads I'd go for it. Which now that I think about it I'm glad I went with the High volume oil pump. It will be interesting to know how much oil pressure I would loose feeding the turbo.

Jones the reason I went with it my car is a front sump pan and I have talked to Charlie and some others about them and have seen a few stockish pumps break the neck at the block, so I decided I can't afford not to buy one...


Randy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
I see!


These oil pumps do look like they could use a little more meat on their bones. I never realized how heavy these little suckers where with only one leg to stand on!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
richter69 said:
I would have bought one, but I already have the external belt pump. :wink:
Now that is the way to go! That would take me having to take a forged billet crank and Ported aluminum heads!

Peterson external wet sump pump FTW!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
For any of you guys running a stroker with the new Kaase oil pump, check your clearances! I have the new Kaase pump (and it's a beauty), and found that the front counterweight on my 4.50 Scat crank would make solid contact with the pump when rotated! All it needs is a little massaging on one of the reinforcing ribs on the pump neck. Not a big deal to fix, but it would be if the crank struck it - OUCH!
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Wayne Pearce said:
For any of you guys running a stroker with the new Kaase oil pump, check your clearances! I have the new Kaase pump (and it's a beauty), and found that the front counterweight on my 4.50 Scat crank would make solid contact with the pump when rotated! All it needs is a little massaging on one of the reinforcing ribs on the pump neck. Not a big deal to fix, but it would be if the crank struck it - OUCH!
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
Humm this makes me wonder if it would have worked at all with my rotating assembly. Being that I am using a internal balanced crankshaft. As we all know the Scat 4.5 crankshaft is the same size as the latter external balanced shafts.

I bet it wouldn't work then. Because the internal crankshafts won't even fit in the later blocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Jones:
My Scat 4.50 rotating assembly is internally balanced, and as I said "just a little massage was all it needed. Don't we wind up modifying just about everything we touch anyway?? My original response was in no way, a condemnation of the Kaase pump, I believe it's worth every penny of it's price tag - just a "heads up" of something to check before you button up the bottom end.
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Jones:
I just reread your post, and realized what you were saying. I'm not sure that your stroker cranks throws are actually larger or not. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable about this will chime in?!?!?
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
No, I meant that I am using a D1ve engine that came with the factory internaly balanced crankshaft. The factory internal balanced crankshaft is physicaly larger than the later external balanced crankshafts.(That came in the D9TE blocks.) Which the Scat cranks are based off of.

That's why if something happens to my block I won't be able to swap my rotating assembly into a later block. (D9TE)

Unless I am understanding the physical size differances between the crankshafts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Wayne Pearce said:
Jones:
I just reread your post, and realized what you were saying. I'm not sure that your stroker cranks throws are actually larger or not. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable about this will chime in?!?!?
Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce
Maybe so, this would be interesting to know.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top