1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
It should make about 440 flywheel horsepower maximum so, how good of a racer is the car, will be the question.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
hm mid 11s. my guess. just as bored. taking a break while running brake lines on my zephyr project. our weight should be about the same. you got a better cam. i got alum heads. i got coil over fronts. lol should be comparable rides.
.... i am hopping for high 11s to 12 flats. best wishes for your ride! zephyrbob

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am guessing 11.68. I would have guessed a little quicker but I think of a 3.55 as a street gear. Either way have fun and report back.
When are you going to the track?
Justin

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow eveyone is voting 11.99 or slower ? So whats the slowest 460 fox that you have seen ! On youtube 12.20's i think is the slowest i could find.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you vote or voted please explain your reasoning for you pick. Thanks !

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
If you vote or voted please explain your reasoning for you pick. Thanks !
I already did with the horsepower number and the main reliance on what the CAR will do but, you insist I am wrong and it appears you simply don't want to hear the truth.

After being on this forum for some time and you still believe what the magazines say...? I'm guessing you never will accept the reality untill you actually run it and find out, Good Luck ... you'll need it!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already did with the horsepower number and the main reliance on what the CAR will do but, you insist I am wrong and it appears you simply don't want to hear the truth.

After being on this forum for some time and you still believe what the magazines say...? I'm guessing you never will accept the reality untill you actually run it and find out, Good Luck ... you'll need it!
i wasn't pointing that at you ! 440hp is realistic but a little lower than i would like. It will still run faster than most people are voting for if indeed it makes close to the 440hp !

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you aren't happy with the power you will be making, just add a little nitrous ;)

I don't feel like looking through your thread to find what trans you are running, what stall converter, weight of the vehicle, your weight/driving experience etc... Point is, it is almost impossible to guess what a car will run in the 1/4 without knowing the driver. We built a car for my buddy and the best he got out of it was an 11.68. I jumped in the drivers seat and managed a 10.96 on my first run. I weigh about 100lbs less than him and am 10X the driver he is as well.

I was thinking about making a thread like this but I think I will just wait and see what it does, THEN make a thread... When I built my SBF a couple years back everyone guessed like 300 at the flywheel and it ended up making 320~ at the rear wheels.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
It's about the CAR ... !
Last summer I built and dyno'ed an engine for a customer and he raced it all summer and couldn't get faster than 10:80's. He was greatly dis-satisfied because I told him there was enough power to get him in the nine's and he ranted that the car was "right" and he just needed more power.
Last winter he sold that engine to another guy with a well set-up car which weighed about the same and "lo & behold" it went 9.63 off the trailer with that exact engine the way it was.
Now he's still telling everyone that I'm the bad guy because the engine I built for him just wasn't right for his car - the reality of the situation is that his CAR wasn't up to the engine...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you aren't happy with the power you will be making, just add a little nitrous ;)

I don't feel like looking through your thread to find what trans you are running, what stall converter, weight of the vehicle, your weight/driving experience etc... Point is, it is almost impossible to guess what a car will run in the 1/4 without knowing the driver. We built a car for my buddy and the best he got out of it was an 11.68. I jumped in the drivers seat and managed a 10.96 on my first run. I weigh about 100lbs less than him and am 10X the driver he is as well.

I was thinking about making a thread like this but I think I will just wait and see what it does, THEN make a thread... When I built my SBF a couple years back everyone guessed like 300 at the flywheel and it ended up making 320~ at the rear wheels.
if you go up to the first post, i have a rough spec list in my signiture ! this post is just to see what people think about my setup and how fast they think it will go. i was board at work..... i do have a cheater nitrous kit i plan on using to see what it will do on a 200 shot !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's about the CAR ... !
Last summer I built and dyno'ed an engine for a customer and he raced it all summer and couldn't get faster than 10:80's. He was greatly dis-satisfied because I told him there was enough power to get him in the nine's and he ranted that the car was "right" and he just needed more power.
Last winter he sold that engine to another guy with a well set-up car which weighed about the same and "lo & behold" it went 9.63 off the trailer with that exact engine the way it was.
Now he's still telling everyone that I'm the bad guy because the engine I built for him just wasn't right for his car - the reality of the situation is that his CAR wasn't up to the engine...
randy exactly..... you built a good engine but he just didn't know how to make it work in his car.... how did you figure 440hp, by a desktop dyno or from previous similar builds that you have dynoed. Thanks !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are one defensive guy...
i wasn't trying to be defensive. just saying i had a list in my signature that you might have missed. sorry ! thanks for the advice in your last post, i fully understand about the driver making the most of the car.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
randy exactly..... you built a good engine but he just didn't know how to make it work in his car.... how did you figure 440hp, by a desktop dyno or from previous similar builds that you have dynoed. Thanks !
Previously similar builds...

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I say mid elevans if you can get it tuned good. I built almost same exact engine and drivetrain for buddies car save for a C460 cam and Stealth intake and it runs 12.60'[email protected] on true street tires spinning for about 50'. The tires seem too tall for the gear and will wreak havoc on the tranny, Been there. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
IMO if you run high 11's with those gears and converter you'll be doing good.And i'm sure it won't happen the first time to the track going to take some tuning.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IMO if you run high 11's with those gears and converter you'll be doing good.And i'm sure it won't happen the first time to the track going to take some tuning.

Later Mark.
hey mark. Well there are plenty of other guys running in the tens with 355 gears and barely foot braking. I know the combo looks mild but i really think that the cam with the 112 lobe sep, gears and stall converter will work good together with the engines torqe if it doesnt i will try other gears, the slicks i have are a little bit tall @ 29.5 but i personally know a guy that picked up alittle going from 28's to 29.5's but he had 373 gears also. this combo has been thought out with another guy that has built at least 5 or 6 bbf fox cars that has run 12's 11's and 10's. Hopefully its no turd. Haha

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Well i wish you well but my junk hasn't ran a 10 second pass yet and is a lot more engine than your build.I have only had it to the track 2 times though so no tuning was done on it,Later Mark.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts