460 Ford Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks. Progress has come to a halt as winter approaches and I had to move the '31 back in the garage (killing what working space I had). Good news is it allows me time to get the new garage at the river house built. 2,016 sq ft of automotive playground. Room for all the cars, the boat and a 40' toyhauler INSIDE. Once THAT'S done I'll be trying to endthis whole working thing and retire.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Picking up a complete FI motor tomorrow for a spare D9TE block, but am going to have a bunch of parts pulled off I won't use. Are FI heads, crank, intake, etc. of any use to others or do I just have 100's of lbs of scrap?

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Been a while since I posted to this, but progress is finally happening. The block needs to go out to get squared and decked, so in the meantime I've moved on to ignition.
I wanted to go crank trigger, but also wanted coil-over-plug using the MSD DIS system. There was no affordable way to do that, so wound up going with MSD dual sync in place of the distributor and the DIS. I'll be able to tailor the advance curve and have retard and two step options if I choose. There's data logging as well.
I'll post updates as I start the fab for the coil mounting and (hopefully soon) rollbar design and fabrication.
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Got the frame and suspension reinforcements fabbed and welded. Happy with how the 4 link lateral supports came out. Don't know how prone this'll be to wheelies until I figure out the suspension setup, so no transbrake to start.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Is that going to be plug-n-play with the dual sync?
That's the beauty of it for me. I wanted a crank trigger, but trying to adapt one to the DIS system was getting away from what I wanted... inexpensive as possible, off-the-shelf parts and (most importantly) a coil-over-plug system that I could map my own curves with. The tradeoff came down to crank trigger or mappable DIS (using the dual sync). DIS won.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Fixture Wood Gas Composite material Rectangle
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Trunk
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Engineering

Finished the other cover. If you haven't seen or done rivnuts, they are a really cool tool for the right applications.
Adds a bit more size and height, but it won't stick out of the eng compartment, so no big deal.

· Registered
799 Posts
The rivnuts make for kind of a stand off...maybe keep the coils cooler...There was a guy on one of the Facebook 460 groups that had a Ford Racing equivalent to the Victor for sale.Might be worth looking into if you're interested.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
More stuff coming in. Nice not having a conventional distributor or plug wires in the way. Damper and single belt pulley in as well, but noticeably absent is a timing cover. I'm going with a cam drive belt system for adjustability and servicing, just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I like it, but kinda big bucks for the Danny Bee setup...
Product Naval architecture Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

61 - 80 of 111 Posts