460 Ford Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Looks like Scotty is talking back cutting exhausts too.Might drop him a note to see what he recommends.
Thought about the exhausts as well. Anything that smooths flow in or out can't be bad...
Nice find! Can't say I've actually seen a B&D grinder but there seem to be a lot of old Sioux and a few Kwik Way machines out there. They are well used and they want $500 or more for them.Always wanted one but just haven't pulled the trigger.
The guy I got this from had 3... this B&D, a QuikWay and possibly a Sioux. Said I could have all 3 for $250, but not looking to start a refurbished valve grinder business. Now I'm on the hunt for a seat grinder and people seem to be REALLY proud of those.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
So, jumped off the ledge today and tried back cutting the first valve. Finished making a lubrication system for the grinder and fired it up. Tried a small 30* cut at first and wasn't happy with it, so went to 29* and crept up on .075". Couldn't get any junk valves to practice on, so worse case is I wasted 1 valve (so far). Really happy with the valve grinder as I'm all in on this thing for <$200. Doing this myself also gives me the opportunity to clean up the bowls before I reassemble. You don't learn unless you take the leap, right?
Nickel Gas Composite material Circle Metal

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
794 Posts
Good job!!! The SCJ-A heads I've got needed some cleanup in the bowls, right below where the valve seats were cut there was a small ledge in them.. It took only aboot 30? 45? min with an aluminum burr in a drill (just easier to control it!) to clean up that ridge. I'm in the process now of polishing up the chambers on em. I got a pair of dummy valves to use just for that so I won't mess up my good valves..
Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Audio equipment Rim

Before cleaning up the ridge I was talking aboot....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Audio equipment Vehicle brake

And afterwards cleaning it up... I'll prolly go back over them again with some rolls just to smooth things oot, and I'm gonna smooth things oot on the exhaust side.. Nothing drastic, just smoothing out the port with a few rolls, no grinding... Well I've blathered on enough... I may post up a polished up chamber or 2 here if you want, I've blathered on enough... Good day eh!

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Good job!!! The SCJ-A heads I've got needed some cleanup in the bowls, right below where the valve seats were cut there was a small ledge in them.. It took only aboot 30? 45? min with an aluminum burr in a drill (just easier to control it!) to clean up that ridge. I'm in the process now of polishing up the chambers on em. I got a pair of dummy valves to use just for that so I won't mess up my good valves..
View attachment 95100
Before cleaning up the ridge I was talking aboot....

View attachment 95101

And afterwards cleaning it up... I'll prolly go back over them again with some rolls just to smooth things oot, and I'm gonna smooth things oot on the exhaust side.. Nothing drastic, just smoothing out the port with a few rolls, no grinding... Well I've blathered on enough... I may post up a polished up chamber or 2 here if you want, I've blathered on enough... Good day eh!
That ugliness in the bowls is what I'm talking about! Pulled the first valves and saw the ridge and knew something had to be done. I'll match the intake ports per Scotty's recommendations, clean up the ridges and call it good. Would love to go deeper, but little steps...

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
794 Posts
I took a roll of painters tape and taped mine up everywhere there was a machined surface too! That's what all the blue is in the pics... Too easy to booger those up and have to have em redone, so I figgered an oz of prevention.... Blah blah blah.... May be over kill but this is my first set of aluminum heads....

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Pulled the valves today and started cleaning up the bowls.
You can see the ledge where they machined the seats with a couple exh port ledges being around .150" tall. Not going ape, just cleaning them up and smoothing them out. Any more than this is beyond me, so except for back cuts, intake port match and bowl cleanup, it is what it is.

Eye Automotive tire Black Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Grey Rim Circle Automotive wheel system

Fluid Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Plumbing

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Been having fun with cartridge rolls and have turned my attention from the bowls to the ports. Here's a typical intake port and my thinking is there's not a lot to do here as the roof is flush with the gasket. Most of the material appears to be on the inside curve of the port, but here's my question. Is there anything to be gained from matching the inside of the curve and as I recall I should stay away from matching (dropping) the floor?
Window Azure Rectangle Material property Automotive tire

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Got the bowls and ports cleaned up on one head. Didn't polish, just smoothed casting lines in the ports and the ledges in the bowls. Intakes are back cut as well, so there's just one question left... should I bother lapping the valves in before re-assembly? They're new, never run but am changing springs and retainers.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Alloy wheel

Wood Gas Composite material Metal Aluminium

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Give me a die grinder and watch me fall down the rabbit hole. Put the Victor intake on and checked port alignment and it's really kinda ugly (to my untrained eye). I see why Scotty says don't touch the port floor when cleaning up the intake ports on the heads! Would seem like it could use some epoxy to raise the floor, but I'm sure the pros here have flowed all this stuff.
Started smoothing out the plenum and carb pad 'cuz the transition from the plenum to port has a pretty sharp turn on the top. I'll do more research before I start anything with the dividers. What I've done so far should be pretty safe, but it wouldn't be the first time I've learned lessons the hard way!
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Vehicle door Motor vehicle

Jaw Sculpture Automotive exterior Art Automotive design

101 - 111 of 111 Posts