460 Ford Forum banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
That O ring on the kick down is a notorious leak area anyway.Which VB you going with?
It'll come down to availability, but either one of Frank's or a Broader. I would love to run a trans brake, but this car being so light and short wheelbase is probably asking for trouble.
The short shaft C4 in my '31 has the dreaded kickdown drip and I'm not real thrilled with tearing it down to fix it. With this C6 being race only, all the street niceties go in the trash (along with the problems that go with them). Will just need to get used to a reverse manual...

· Registered
815 Posts
The trans brake puts a lot more shock to the driveshaft and rear than foot brake...maybe even more than a stick.It leaves that stuff unloaded on the line till the hammer goes down.It will help slightly in 60 ft. Your rig is going to be a handful no matter what you do.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
The trans brake puts a lot more shock to the driveshaft and rear than foot brake...maybe even more than a stick.It leaves that stuff unloaded on the line till the hammer goes down.It will help slightly in 60 ft. Your rig is going to be a handful no matter what you do.
Driveline shock is one reason I'm passing on it. With a longer wheelbase and different front suspension I would do it, but will deal with footbraking to creep up on a consistent launch.
Yep, gonna be a handful ;)

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 · (Edited)
As I assemble this trans, I'm amazed how little rotational drag there is with it all rollerized. Waiting on more frictions and plates and a couple tools I need to finish this up, but now that I'm better acquainted with the internals, the more comfortable I am in building this.
Starting to assemble the clutch packs and measuring stack. I've seen a lot of different opinions, so wondering what clearance per friction should be? Also, anyone have a good source for different thickness snap rings?
I've assemble the forward clutch with 5 frictions, stock steels and a .072" snap ring and I still have .130" gap. Thinking that's a lot to make up with a snap ring, so are there different thicknesses of steels to dial in the gap?
***Was just thinking I need to recount how many steels I pulled out of this clutch as there may have been an extra at the bottom that may have reduced the gap by .076".

· Registered
815 Posts
A long time ago but I got selective snap rings and steels,clutches at Mid States Transmission parts,800 325 6772.It was wholesale only so I had to be creative.Don't know if they're even in business anymore. Forward clutch...snap rings .043,.050,.058,.067,.076,.090,.094,.112,.130. Steels,.078,.095...from info I had written down.Frank M. did have a source somewhere in Canada also. Loose is better than tight.I did find that Red Altos and Kolenes usually made things too tight with the usual .076 ring.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts