460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine I served with in the Navy sent this to me today. I definitely agree with him 100%.

Okay, I need to rant.
I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood , and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?
-

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

-

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan . They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

-

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Feel free to pass this along if you want.

-

Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military;

-

"So that others may live..."

·
Registered
407 Posts
I salute your service to our country too. No need to worry about offending anybody because you have earned the right in defending this country along with ALL soldiers for the freedoms we enjoy. MJ was a child molestor and slept with little boys and gets all of this treatment. Our country is screwed up and getting worse everyday.

Russ Hood

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
That is great!

Thank you and your freind for your service.

I think the brave men and women who defond our freedoms need much more credit, they give so much "So that others may live."

In Canada, we remember our vetrans on Nov.11. The poppy is the flower that we have to mark the day. I keep a poppy in my truck year around, every day is rememberance day to me.

Bill

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Damn fine bit of writing their, 100% agree with the aurthor

·
Registered
480 Posts
Same here

X10 on everything in that letter. So very true.

Kerry Clark
U.S. Navy
1981 to 1988

My heart goes out everyday for the men and women that serve our country. They never get enough respect and they earn more than most.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
"F" that! Sounds like vanity to me. Lots of good people die every day without so much as a newspaper obit snippet. If you want recognition for putting yourself out there and possibly dying, get out of the military and start wearing shiny shoes and reflective clothes on some silly stage. Until then just shut up and be proud of yourself without going into some huge rant about how misplaced the American public's concerns are. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
"F" that! Sounds like vanity to me. Lots of good people die every day without so much as a newspaper obit snippet. If you want recognition for putting yourself out there and possibly dying, get out of the military and start wearing shiny shoes and reflective clothes on some silly stage. Until then just shut up and be proud of yourself without going into some huge rant about how misplaced the American public's concerns are. Just my opinion.
It's pretty odvious you've never served your country........ In fact have you ever done any thing other than complain and be very unappriciative of people willing to make a scrafice your probably scared to bit off?

·
Registered
407 Posts

Take a tour in the desert and see if that changes your mind.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll tell you what Scott, you can take your opinion and stick it up your *** because it's certainly not welcomed here. You're obviously reading something into the letter that's not there. You have completely missed the entire point of his rant, and as usual you are trying to start something that apparently helps you get your jollies off. Get a life!

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you want recognition for putting yourself out there and possibly dying, get out of the military and start wearing shiny shoes and reflective clothes on some silly stage.
Whoa, guys, ease up on Scott here. This line right here shows me he was being completely ironic and sarcastic here, making fun of those famous for wearing shiny shoes and such, dancing on stage, while soldiers die without so much as a "thanks."

At least that's the way I read it. I leave it up to Scott to correct me, but if he was being sarcastic, I think this line shows it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Whoa, guys, ease up on Scott here. This line right here shows me he was being completely ironic and sarcastic here, making fun of those famous for wearing shiny shoes and such, dancing on stage, while soldiers die without so much as a "thanks."

At least that's the way I read it. I leave it up to Scott to correct me, but if he was being sarcastic, I think this line shows it.
Mguy,.....I don't buy it.

Scott,.....Please paraphrase for us. We want to be sure we understand you correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you are a true piece of shite

If no person speakes out about the ***-backward morals of some (like YOU) in this great country, then why don't we all just give up on what is left of real life perspective?!

By the way, I hope your engine blows for those comments. You need a heavy dose of LEARN SOME F*CKIN RESPECT!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I will probably get on the wrong side of most of you about this post but please remember it is only my opinion and my observation.I dont agree with all the hoopla over michael jackson,he was (the king of pop) and was of the elvis status.But i dont think that warrants the state of ca to be out 1.4 mil.over the deal.Now to the military if you joined the military i wouldnt think you joined it to be glorified if you were injured or killed.Most of us joined to defend our country in the event that has to happen.I dont feel that is the case today.We are not defending are public at all in the war we are in.9-11 could have been avoided but yet was ignored and the war that assumed after was just a ploy to get somewhere the gov. wanted to be.I have friends that after getting out have been looking for nothing more than a dissability check.How many of you are drawing dissability?I know several and they have worked right beside me and hold very good jobs.How is that much different than watching a dead man get something he doesnt deserve.I dont think or vets get near the credit they deserve they actually fought for our freedom.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
tony j202b, Did you actually say that we're not defending our own citizens with this effort??? I don't call this a "war" because I was raised by a man who really understood what a war is. He flew a P-51 when he was still just a kid. He had bigger stones than anyone I've ever met. Just like the men and women who join our armed services now, he knew then that his chances of being killed were pretty good.....but he... and they... signed up anyway.

The problem with people who would minimize the contribution that servicemen and women make....is that they usually think that this whole "freedom" thing isn't such a big deal....and that this country rose to the top by accident or dumb luck. They've never known what it's like to wonder if our entire way of life might be coming to an end. They've never seen entire nations pulling together, sacrificing, rationing everything from scrap metal to paper to rubber to food because all those things were needed for a WAR EFFORT. Today's service people are actually doing something to try to keep you from living that little slice of hell yourself. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are an awful lot of cemeteries full of people who gave everything so that you and anyone else could have the right to claim that they're not defending YOU.

And by the way, if you have friends who are only looking for a disabilty check, you need to do one of two things. Either look a little deeper into their hearts....or re-evaluate your criteria for a "friend". The same guy who flew that piston powered fighter once told me, "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future."

I'm done.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts