460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a line lock on my fairmont 'and it's on the front brake's instead of the rear.a friend said that big tire cars like mine some times run them that way. is that right ?. if i turn the valve in or out it doesn't seem to make any difference .should i just run it in the middle.thanks roger :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are you sure you're talking about a line lock and not a proportioning valve?I've never seen a line lock with a knob. Just curious what you're talking about. And if it is a line lock you would definately want it on the front wheels for a drag racing application.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Proportioning valves always go on the rear brake line. You need to reduce pressure to the rears to keep them from locking up. I've never seen one on the front.

To test them, you hit the brakes hard enough to lock up one set of wheels. You normally want them to lock at about the same, though I've heard various people say fronts first, and rears first. I think OEM is to have the fronts lock first. Sliding in a straight line is how OEM's set up cars.

John.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would agree. I have the proportioning valve set-up for the rear discs on my Mustang. I adjusted it using a couple of half-track passes, and left it that way. It worked fine @ 150 MPH.

DJ

·
Registered
360 Posts
In a "normal" car it always goes on the rear, but depending on the car weight bias, tires & brake system it's not always the case as most drag cars aren't normal when it come to brakes and especially tires. On my 67 the weight bias is 49-50%, it has M/T sportsman skinnies in the front, Good Year 32.4 x 16 slicks, Wilwood disc brake (Drag) in the front and the big Pro Street set up in the rear. With the proportioning valve in the rear line my front tires would easily lock up, I had to move the valve up front to stop this from happening, with the valve removed from the rear the rear tires still will not lock up before the front.

Even with the weight transfer caused by braking the bigger rear tires can still offer alot more traction than the skinny front tires can. If the system works the way it is and your not having problems with the back tires locking up it was done that way for a reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts