460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

were are thinking about on Finnish Mustang owners club forum that how much punishment can 4sdp. Toploader take? I have had for ages 4spd behind my stock 289 and I have had no problems (wonder why :roll: ), buddy of mine has nascar Toploader with 1 3/8" inputshaft (from '70 Fairlane bbf) in his 4600 lb '61 429 Galaxie and it is going fine with app. 440 hp (according to 1/4 mile times). One guy exploded 2 nascar toploaders with A600 based 572 with 750 hp. Where is the line? How much can 1 1/16" take and how much 1 3/8" can take? Any ideas guys or experiences?

Thanks,

Jari

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't no the exact number hp that the toploader will take, but i think it should handle about 600 hp. I had one behind a 532 ci cyclone and it worked fine but i really never ran the car that hard. A friend of mine had one behind a stout FE and he swaped it out for a jerico but he drive's it hard and he's pushing about 650 horse. Sorry i don't have a complete answer for you but i wound't go over 600 with one, just my opion. bz

Had to edit didn't see the small toploader question. I no a guy who put one behind a 428cj and lived pulled it out when he got the big boy back. But it did survive but he wasn't racing it at the track either. I don't have that much experience with the small stuff sorry.bz

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I know a couple guys using them in 800+ hp pullign trucks.. But there isnt an initial HIT like a drag car motor would put on one. They have had no bad luck. Only change when they need the 2nd gear option from a different transmission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts