460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope this is in the right spot.
A quick run down of what I'm working with.
I have a 1989 E350 chassis. The motor is currently bone stock with 34k miles on it. I mated a C6 to it. It's 2wd and I'm running 4:10 gears on roughly 30" tires for now (junk tires but will stay roughly the same height). Then I put a Willys truck body on the chassis. I cut the chassis down to the correct Willy wheelbase of 118-ish". The rear is 4 linked, air bag suspension at all 4 corners, 4 wheel disc brake conversion, boxed the frame. Nothing on this truck has gone untouched except for the motor/trans.

My plan as of now. As I stated the motor is bone stock, right down to the exhaust manifolds. Though I did buy a set of headers, a build it yourself 3" exhaust kit and will be running it through magnaflow mufflers with an H-pipe very soon. I also plan to disconnect the spout connector and bump the timing once I can get the freakin distributor to move! That's the extent of my plan for the current efi setup.

My plan for the truck is to use it as a little truck and a toy. I have a 2 ton truck for all of the big things I will need to haul. The Willy will be more of a toy but I also want to throw plywood etc. in the back when working on other projects and haul a light trailer from time to time. I don't know what the truck weighs but it's heavier than one would think. I assume around 4500 pounds or so. I think something around 400 hp would be just about right.

Onto my questions and ideas. I'm not motor builder but I can tear one apart and put it together. The parts and pieces to get from x horsepower to x horsepower I don't know. I would like to retain the stock bottom end, rods/pistons/everything below the heads. I would like to buy a kit so I take myself out of the equation of trying to piece something together.

I am still working on this truck and it's coming along rapidly. I am not at the point that I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy something and build it this weekend. I'm thinking it'll be next winter when I do do this. I want to have the motor sorted out with a solid plan for when I'm ready. I'll likley buy everything at once and dive in.

What I need advice about. Will the stock bottom end be fine around 400hp? I don't need to spin anymore than 4500/5000 rpm, pump gas friendly, 400-ish hp, torque can be whatever, a complete kit, I would also like to stay less than $4k-ish for everything. I know I'll have to get another set of headers, valve covers, etc so that's factored into the 4k also.

If there is anymore details anyone needs to help point me in the correct direction just ask, thank you!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Bottom end will be just fine at 400 hp. I don't know of anyone selling a "kit", but you can get a hold of one of the vendors on here and they'll be able to give you a recipe and parts needed to do what you're after, no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I was hoping that much. For what it is going to be used for I really didn't want to get into the bottom end.
Is there a difference in rod/piston strength on an efi block vs the older engines? I've found specs on older ones but haven't had a ton of luck on efi specific bottom ends.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
94 Posts
Maybe look at one of the Edelbrock performer packages?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been doing a lot of research. I'm eye balling the Barnett High Performance kits. He has one listed at 420hp/520tq that runs on 93 octane. It's listed at $1900 plus a bunch of other things I can throw in on it too. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about his kits? He's within a couple of hours from where I live.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope this is in the right spot.
A quick run down of what I'm working with.
I have a 1989 E350 chassis. The motor is currently bone stock with 34k miles on it. I mated a C6 to it. It's 2wd and I'm running 4:10 gears on roughly 30" tires for now (junk tires but will stay roughly the same height). Then I put a Willys truck body on the chassis. I cut the chassis down to the correct Willy wheelbase of 118-ish". The rear is 4 linked, air bag suspension at all 4 corners, 4 wheel disc brake conversion, boxed the frame. Nothing on this truck has gone untouched except for the motor/trans.

My plan as of now. As I stated the motor is bone stock, right down to the exhaust manifolds. Though I did buy a set of headers, a build it yourself 3" exhaust kit and will be running it through magnaflow mufflers with an H-pipe very soon. I also plan to disconnect the spout connector and bump the timing once I can get the freakin distributor to move! That's the extent of my plan for the current efi setup.

My plan for the truck is to use it as a little truck and a toy. I have a 2 ton truck for all of the big things I will need to haul. The Willy will be more of a toy but I also want to throw plywood etc. in the back when working on other projects and haul a light trailer from time to time. I don't know what the truck weighs but it's heavier than one would think. I assume around 4500 pounds or so. I think something around 400 hp would be just about right.

Onto my questions and ideas. I'm not motor builder but I can tear one apart and put it together. The parts and pieces to get from x horsepower to x horsepower I don't know. I would like to retain the stock bottom end, rods/pistons/everything below the heads. I would like to buy a kit so I take myself out of the equation of trying to piece something together.

I am still working on this truck and it's coming along rapidly. I am not at the point that I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy something and build it this weekend. I'm thinking it'll be next winter when I do do this. I want to have the motor sorted out with a solid plan for when I'm ready. I'll likley buy everything at once and dive in.

What I need advice about. Will the stock bottom end be fine around 400hp? I don't need to spin anymore than 4500/5000 rpm, pump gas friendly, 400-ish hp, torque can be whatever, a complete kit, I would also like to stay less than $4k-ish for everything. I know I'll have to get another set of headers, valve covers, etc so that's factored into the 4k also.

If there is anymore details anyone needs to help point me in the correct direction just ask, thank you!
Sounds like cool project. My rig has a custom exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler that I bought from 4wheelonline. I used an H-pipe to have a lower tone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like cool project. My rig has a custom exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler that I bought from 4wheelonline. I used an H-pipe to have a lower tone.
It is for sure. It's snappy the way it is with the torque it has but man does it ever fall on its face around the mid rpm. It currently has a set of knock off 40 series flowmasters with turn downs just after the trans. I hate the way it sounds and I usually like the 40 series. This will be the first time I run magnaflows on anything I own.

It doesn't currently have an 02 sensor in the exhaust at all. I will be adding that when I start the new exhaust. Is there any specific place that's best for it to be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts