460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

Can somebody tell me whats the best location for a oxyensensor in the header. i have heard it's 3 to 4 inch from the heads. I also heard that if they are to close to heads they burn. If have one sensor which cil. must i measure.

The engine is a 598ci with aprox. 1000hp.

Regards,

Freek

·
Registered
783 Posts
in the primary tube half way between the collector and the flange give or take a couple of inches.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
There are several ways of thought on that... We have found different things on our Pro Stock stuff for monitoring... We have 3 locations for them on our headers, however if you want to have the most steady or where they average out the best the lower you go on the header (away from the head) the better average reading you will get, however you will tend to be running actually on the fat or rich side. Now that being said depending on the length of header, you can generally get about halfway down the tube before checking. The EGT's are the sensors you want just outside the port (close to the head). As they are monitoring the exhaust temperatures and that is the place that has less variance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hello,

I have located the sensor half way the primare tube. When i start the engine the A/F ratio jumps between 9 and 14. Will this gets stable if the engine is loaded and running higher rpm?

Or is it better to locate the sensor in the colector. The lenght of the colector is arrond 10".

PS. the enigine is a 598ci with aprox. 1000hp (0.800+ cam), the oxyensensor is a bosch from Innovate motorsport

greetings

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You will definately see a better average when at operating rpm. However I like mine lower on the header, but that doesn't mean any one way is right. They are a tool and should be treated as such. Where I run mine and tune from tends to keep my engine fat....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts