460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase and installation of a MSD 6AL2 programmable box. I have a stock Ford dizzy with a Pertronix ignitor, what is the best way to lock out the distributor without tach welding. Also any suggestions for the rate at which the timing should be added back in. Basic set up= 11.5 to 1 with edlebrock preformer heads , lunatti 61605 hyd flat tappet, steath intake, 850 quickfuel carb, shortie headers-3" C-6 with 3.73 out back, the altitude is app. 5,000. I shift the car @ 5,500 oh the converter flashes app. 2,800.
Thanks

·
Registered
817 Posts
leave the advance weld up the slot to .310 set timing at 20 22i and 34 36t at 2200 to 2500 with the springs msd 6al maybe a retart box for spray or removing a little close to the end of a past very simple and works good on street an strip
dragweek quickest street rod
2009 2010

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you have reduced the amount af advance available by filling in the slots, do you mean set the initial at 20 to 22, with full advance in by 2500. The 6al 2 is programmable with the software included with the box. But the dizzy must be completely locked out, I was hoping for an alternative to welding, all though it is not like I would be welding on a high dollar dizzy. Are you a drag week participant, I think that would be a blast.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
leave the advance weld up the slot to .310 set timing at 20 22i and 34 36t at 2200 to 2500 with the springs msd 6al maybe a retart box for spray or removing a little close to the end of a past very simple and works good on street an strip
2009 2010
X2,That's how my Duraspark is works good and is cheap and simple way to do it.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ya i run at dragweek been going for two years now it is a blast. won quickest street rod 2 years run in daily driver the duraspark is a good dizzy internal are what msd uses. 6 digital is very nice piece but expensive. i just run 6a, home rework duraspark a retart box for spray works great and cheap all was used
2009 2010

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I think it would be fun to be able to tune the cars ignition curve with the programmable box but yes it is pricey around 350.00 but has a ton of features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts