460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a .60 over block, stock crank, going to purchase scj heads and kb flat top pistons, shooting for 500hp, can someone please point me in the right direction on my next step on what I need to figure out, where do I start cam? Rod length? Been searching for weeks but I can’t seem to find an answer that makes sense to me

·
Registered
185 Posts
Step 1- Find a good machinist if you don’t already have one.
Step 2- The SCJ head and a flat top piston isn’t going to make for a pump gas friendly combination if that’s what you were shooting for.
Step 3- If you’re using a stock crank a stock length connecting rod (6.605”) is gonna be what your looking for, ideally an aftermarket I or H beam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I do have dish pistons already, p1548 is the part #, going to buy some eagle connecting rods also

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have the Enginetech pistons they wont work with a SCJ cylinder head, the valve reliefs are in the wrong place. Also those look like a cast piston which doesn't really belong in a performance engine application.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found one on speedway.com, didn’t see anything about compression or fuel, guess I should call them

·
Registered
185 Posts
With a non altered SCJ head and a piston at zero deck you’ll need a dish in the low 30cc range to get you down into the mid 10’s:1 compression wise.
Please don’t take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are in way over you’re head here. Have you built (not assembled) any engines before?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I’ve never built and engine before, I’m confident I can do it though, I just don’t want to build a stock motor, I want to put together a hammer, I know I can check and measure clearances and all that stuff, just not sure what combo would work for my goals

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like you’re gonna want an engine that makes a lot of torque down low with a broad torque range. With 4.10 gears and a non OD 4spd you don’t want an engine that wants high revs to make power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts