460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm going home for the first time on leave 5 days after I turn 21 on May 31st. So I want to go ahead and pick up my first semi auto pistol. Ive been around guns my whole life, but its all shot guns, deer and squirrel rifles and a few revolvers. My favorite revolver was(and is) my dads s&w 671 .44 mag six shot. Is there anything out there in a semi that carries that kinda hit? I'd like a 1911 framed pistol in .44 mag. If nothing is available who sells a good one in the $650 to $700 range in .45 acp? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Look for a Kimber carry model in .45acp. Might find a used one for that money. It will always fire. The xd springfields are a good value. A colt defender is also fine carry .45. A .44 mag semi -carry model.....unubtanium. Tres....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Get a used Desert Eagle .50AE. They're not much for concealed carry, but they do shoot the bigger rounds and are pretty well built. But yeah, I don't think anyone makes a 1911 in .44 mag

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You might want to look at the Para Ordnance P 14. 13 in the mag, 1 in the pipe,...45ACP. Alloy frame, steel slide, made in Canada and USA. Weight (with 14 on board) about the same as a steel framed 1911 (with 8 on board).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Great suggestions on guns here, someday I want to own a Kimber Arms semi-auto.
I dont like revolvers and have only owned one S&W 357 hammer-less. If you are unsure about the gun as it is your first semi-auto you may want to go cheaper than the recommendations here with Taurus or Glock. I prefer big and slow (45ACP) but have an inexpensive Russian made 9mm that is very friendly as well. The added safety of being double action is a plus as well. I do not carry but if I did it would be a double action auto.

The only 44 magnum auto that I know of is the Desert Eagle MarkVII a bit pricey at around $1000. Gotta love those Israeli's but Eagles are quality weapons.

Dave

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
try and find you a 50 BMG then no one will have one bigger.... just one small catch thou you won't shoot it will kill you to pull the trigger....

My suggestion is buy something you can and will shoot comfortably.... I prefer my 9mm. I had a 45 colt and I hated it useless gun.. so much recoil and a wrist killer....I traded it for a 44 mag and it was not as bad as the 45....at least with the 44 you could shoot it farther than 25 ft without having to point it to the clouds to laub the bullet that far.....

Randy

·
Registered
457 Posts
you can get a firestorm or a rock island 1911 in .45acp for around 400.00$ see if you like before you spend alot on one, seen both in pawn shops for 275.00 to 325.00. you can get a hi point .45acp or .40sw for under 250.00. american made, lifetime warrenty , i have the hi point 9mm. for 113.00$ 10 years ago and love it,shoots great and lot cheaper to shoot than my S&W 500 mag.:eek: or .44mag:D. find a buddy or someone who has one n try it out, look at www.auctionarms.com or www. gunbroker.com to look n see what u like n then go to town n find ya one:D. good luck

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I recently shot my friend's 1911 Kimber .45acp. Nice gun, but to be honest I liked his .40 cal Glock 23? better. Don't know why, it just felt better.

The Kimber was more accurate at long distances. We were able to hit targets that were 75 yards out pretty consistantly, but at more realistic distances I was better with the Glock.

Bob suggested I check out the Ruger P95 9mm. I think it's a nice looking piece, I just need to find one I can shoot.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My friend's cheap Smith and Wesson .40 was horribly inaccurate. The slide was loose on the rails and the barrel would wiggle with the slide, in relation to the frame. My other friend had a PX4 Beretta (for a few days in which time I learned to firmly hold a semi auto for decent accuracy) and now a Sig 220 in .45acp. Both of those guns shot TREMENDOUSLY better than the cheap S&W. Even the friend with the S&W couldn't hit $hit with it but was pretty accurate with his crappy Lorcin 9mm, and very accurate with my .357 ruger revolver. Maybe he just happened to get a dud, but it was brand spankin new when he bought it so it wasn't some cobbled or worn-out pistol. I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus pistols except some of the clips need a little tweeking to get them to feed well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
havent had to much exp. with S&W semi auto, but my 500mag is revolver and very accurate, just to damn big for plinkin:D. the hi point i spoke of in 9mm is also very accurate n a good gun just look funny, i also have shot the rock island 1911 .45acp and liked it alot, thinkin bout gettin one:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
My friend's cheap Smith and Wesson .40 was horribly inaccurate. The slide was loose on the rails and the barrel would wiggle with the slide, in relation to the frame. My other friend had a PX4 Beretta (for a few days in which time I learned to firmly hold a semi auto for decent accuracy) and now a Sig 220 in .45acp. Both of those guns shot TREMENDOUSLY better than the cheap S&W. Even the friend with the S&W couldn't hit $hit with it but was pretty accurate with his crappy Lorcin 9mm, and very accurate with my .357 ruger revolver. Maybe he just happened to get a dud, but it was brand spankin new when he bought it so it wasn't some cobbled or worn-out pistol. I've heard nothing but good about the Taurus pistols except some of the clips need a little tweeking to get them to feed well.
come to think of it your right, t did feel a bit "floppy", mine shot fairly true though.
this is good! thx for the laugh ThndrChkn!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently shot my friend's 1911 Kimber .45acp. Nice gun, but to be honest I liked his .40 cal Glock 23? better. Don't know why, it just felt better.

The Kimber was more accurate at long distances. We were able to hit targets that were 75 yards out pretty consistantly, but at more realistic distances I was better with the Glock.

Bob suggested I check out the Ruger P95 9mm. I think it's a nice looking piece, I just need to find one I can shoot.

I have a P94 in 40 cal and love it, they are great guns, actually it was the 1st semi auto I ever bought. Since then we'll I have bought a few more. One of these days I will fill it.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I have a P94 in 40 cal and love it, they are great guns, actually it was the 1st semi auto I ever bought. Since then we'll I have bought a few more. One of these days I will fill it.
I stopped by a local gun store the other day to check out a few different guns......and the Rugar was much bigger than expected. Nice gun, felt great in the hand, but too big for CCW in my opinion.

At this point (much to Bob's dismay) I'm looking to get my hands on a Kel-Tec PF-9.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I stopped by a local gun store the other day to check out a few different guns......and the Rugar was much bigger than expected. Nice gun, felt great in the hand, but too big for CCW in my opinion.

At this point (much to Bob's dismay) I'm looking to get my hands on a Kel-Tec PF-9.

I agree for CC the Ruger is too big, I like the Kel-Tec I will have to check it out next time I am at the Gun Store.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I've got a HiPoint .40S&W and a Glock 21 .45 ACP and love both of them. Darn fine shooting guns. The 9's pack a few more rounds, and if that is what you like go for it, but I still feel any handgun that you are going to rely on should have a 4 as the first number in the caliber.:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
My brother just picked up a new Springfield XD .40 S&W service model.
I haven't had or fired one but it looked like a nice semi auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are looking for a carry type gun, here is the what I look at it

1. What is your life worth?? Hopefully you will never need it but when you do it better work!!

2. Buy a gun that fits your hand and feels VERY natural in your hand. I can pick up almost any 1911 framed gun and it feels like a nice glove but most double stack/high capacity guns feel like I'm picking up a 2x4 to me.

3. A carry gun for it's purpose will be as small as possible but with enough powwer to do the job, but even aa little .22lr is better than nothing and yet is no were near what I would want to have to depend on!! As we all know on this board bigger is better!!

4. A long self defense shot is 7 yards and at that range you should be able to fire without sights and hit center mass on a man. Also it haas been documented that the average gun fight is 3-4 shots total so a 5 or 6 shot weapon should do just fine.

For what its worth I have 2 carry guns, one concealed hammer S&W revolver 5 shot 38+p with a laser grip and a Khar 9mm semi-auto with 6 shot mag. I would love to carry a full size 1911 in 45 acp all the time but in Florida it's hard to conceal it under just a t-shirt!!

Hope this helps................

Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts