460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after getting the timing cover off and seeing the broken chain I had left things sitting that way. I came back to the truck about a week later so I could warranty the timing set and to my disappointment the cam snout was also broken. It looks as if the chain got stuck in the crank sprocket as there was a piece of the chain between the teeth.

At this point I'm going to pull the motor out and since previously I only had the machine shop hone the block since the cylinders measured good on the bore gauge, I will be boring it oversized and ordering a stroker kit. That way the crank, rods and pistons will all be new. I have no idea if the idiot that was assembling the motor for me did not do something properly or what as he did not even check the clearance on the bearings.

Once the motor got put back into the truck I had no way to check myself since the front crossmember is right in the way.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a stroker kit, and what size? Since the block has never been bored over I'm not wanting to take it to the maximum bore size unless there is a damn good reason to. Also would I be better to replace the stock heads with some aluminum ones like the AFR or TFS? I'm positive valves bent again when this chain broke since the motor was running, so if I stay with these I know I will once again have to throw some money at them.
And just so the information is here and no one has to search my other posts this is going into a 89 f250 regular cab, long bed, c6 initially but Will be swapped with the 6 or 8 speed automatic come income tax time, BW1356 has the factory sterling rear and Dana 50 TTB WITH 33's. Will be changing out to a Dana 60 front, extended for better approach angle, tubed rear, minimum of 37's. Dual x-fer cases, etc. Your standard big block truggy that will not be a trailer queen. I have the moonrocks in my backyard which is only outdone by Moab for rock crawling.

Edit: almost forgot has Thorley Tri-Y headers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget is not as much of a concern since I've already spent around 7k total for new parts, machine work, etc. I do all the labor myself and anything I can use from junkyards, Craigslist and FB marketplace I try to get first. All new parts have been from Summit Racing since they are a 10 minute drive from my house.

I'm looking to get 600 hp and roughly the same neighborhood for torque. If I find a deal on unimog axles those are my first choice over D60 and if I have to save up for a few months to buy stuff, no worries. I've already concluded the truck won't be my daily driver and will probably be a couple year project in total.

·
Registered
211 Posts
545 with AFR heads would be my suggestion. Mild hyd cam, efi, nitrous.
Atlas 4 speed. 60s with H1 portal outers. Linked, coilovers, full hydro steering.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You read my mind on a few of those. Hydro steering is on the want list, I have a friend that can get parts from a forklift repair place that he works at. That was how I did the hydro steering on my Datsun when I was a young buck.

I like the D60 H1 portals but for the price I could do 2 steering unimogs and still probably come out cheaper. Will cross that bridge when we get there however.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Keep the bore a small as possible. If it cleans at .030 go .030.

.040, .060, and .080 are also available, at least from me...but there is no reason to bore it any more than you have to to get the cylinders right.

I'm also partial to the 545. I'd give you a reason.......but I really don't have one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you go 521 or 545 you won’t have to spin it very hard to hit you’re hp and tq goals which is good for you’re application. You need to decide what heads before you decide on a stroker kit so you get the right pistons. A set of SCJ’s or a set of AFR 280’s will get the job done. If you think you’ll want more power in the future you could step up to the AFR 300’s or 315’s but you’ll give up port velocity now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you go 521 or 545 you won’t have to spin it very hard to hit you’re hp and tq goals which is good for you’re application. You need to decide what heads before you decide on a stroker kit so you get the right pistons. A set of SCJ’s or a set of AFR 280’s will get the job done. If you think you’ll want more power in the future you could step up to the AFR 300’s or 315’s but you’ll give up port velocity now.
Well each to his own but I run a 557 15/1compresion kassi sr71 heads scat crank Beam rods afr intake 1450cfm fst carb we making 1050hp on stock block bored to440 poured it will bend frames you can go to 572

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well each to his own but I run a 557 15/1compresion kassi sr71 heads scat crank Beam rods afr intake 1450cfm fst carb we making 1050hp on stock block bored to440 poured it will bend frames you can go to 572
Congratulations on you’re combo but it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking. He’s looking for a 600hp combo and suggesting that someone bores a stock block to 4.5” then pours it full of concrete just to say they have 572” is ludicrous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well each to his own but I run a 557 15/1compresion kassi sr71 heads scat crank Beam rods afr intake 1450cfm fst carb we making 1050hp on stock block bored to440 poured it will bend frames you can go to 572 ps the cam is 800lger intake valve and more important kassie oil pump
Congratulations on you’re combo but it has nothing to do with what the OP was asking. He’s looking for a 600hp combo and suggesting that someone bores a stock block to 4.5” then pours it full of concrete just to say they have 572” is ludicrous.
Well if u know anything about turbos look know further cheaper

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Cool story, bro. Could you tell it again, do we have enough time? Guy is building a rock crawler/driver. He doesn't need a 1000 hp drag engine or turbos...but hey, you can go on and tell everybody about your combo in every thread if you want. It doesn't help, but you're welcome to.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cool story, bro. Could you tell it again, do we have enough time? Guy is building a rock crawler/driver. He doesn't need a 1000 hp drag engine or turbos...but hey, you can go on and tell everybody about your combo in every thread if you want. It doesn't help, but you're welcome to.
Come on Mach, would you rather hear about his small peni*?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts