I am getting ready to start building up my 460 that I recently purchased, but since it is a persons incomplete project, I need to get some parts to finish it.
Things I need to get are a distributor, intake, carb, rockers, and headers.
What I have is an early 70s (don't have the casting # with me at work) 460 bottom end bored .30 over with a freshly turned crank, D6VE truck rods, sealed power pistons, a comp cams xtreme 4x4 262 cam w/hydraulic lifters, and a high flow water pump, and Moroso 20612 High strength 8 qt oil pan (rear sump) w/ the Moroso oil pick-up 24504. I may have to ditch the oil pan because I don't think it will work in my project truck (see sig).
It also has MSD Offroad 6470 Ignition Control Box, MSD Offroad 8222 Ignition Coil with bracket, Ford Racing M6600A460 High Volume oil pump w/driveshaft, Summit SUM-250007-1 460 mechanical fuel pump, and new lifters and pushrods.
The heads are DOVE-C and here is the description that was given to me by the seller about them. (sorry about caps, its a cut and paste)
1. HEADS HAVE BEEN OVEN CLEANED, SHOT PEENED AND MAGNAFLUXED. THESE HEADS HAVE NO CRACKS, REPAIR, RUST OR SCALE (THE OVEN CLEANS FAR BETTER THEN A HOT TANK, AFTER BEING BURNED IN THE OVEN AND SHOT PEENED)
2. 16 BRAND NEW BRONZE VALVE GUIDE INSERTS INSTALLED, ALONG WITH 8 NEW HARDENED EXHAUST VALVE SEATS. ( THE BRONZE GUIDES AND HARD SEATS WILL GIVE EXELLANT LIFE ON TODAYS UNLEADED FUEL)
3. CYLINDER HEADS RESURFACED IN A CBN HIGH SPEED MILLING MACHINE. .005 REMOVED FROM EACH HEAD TO INSURE TRUE SEALING SURFACE WITHOUT CAUSING PROBLEMS WITH INTAKE MANIFOLD SEALING. ( THE CBN SURFACING MACHINE YEILDS THE BEST FINISH POSSIBLE, FAR BETTER THEN A SURFACE GRINDER, SANDER OR BROACH.)
4. HEADS HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED WITH TOP QUALITY MANLEY PRO FLOW VALVES. VALVE SIZE WAS INCRESED TO 2.25 X 1.75 ( THESE ARE THE SUPER COBRA JET SIZE VALVES WITH THE 30 DEGREE INTAKE FACE), ELGIN DUAL VALVE SPRINGS, COMPETITION CAMS DUAL VALVE SPRING RETAINERS, A NEW SET OF HARDENED LOCKS, AND GENUINE PC TEFLON OIL SEALS. HEADS HAVE HAD BRAND NEW ELGIN 7/16 SCREW IN STUDS INSTALLED.
5. ALL BOLT HOLES ARE GOOD, HEADS HAVE NO HELI COILS AND NEED NO HELI COILS.
IF YOU ARE BUILDING A BIG BLOCK FORD AND YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN EXCELLANT SET OF HEADS LOOK NO FURTHER THEN THESE. THE DOVE-C HEAD IS THE BEST OF THE FACTORY FORD CASTINGS. THESE HEADS WERE ASSEMBLED FIRST RATE WITH NO CORNERS CUT.
Though I am somewhat of a veteran of Fords, I am a novice to the 385 series and only a shadetree mechanic as far as skills go. So I am looking for help and opinions on what I need to get for parts for this motor. My goal is about 400bhp so I can achive somwhere in the neighborhood near or just over 300rwhp. I would like a pointless type distributor and an aluminum intake that is good for daily driving and my some power.
My plans are also to put a ZF-5 trans behind this motor. If anyone has any experience with adapting a ZF-5 to an older 460 let me know. Afaik it should bolt right up, so I need to find a flywheel from an external balanced 460 and shave all the weights off so it will work.
Thanks in advance for all the help. If anyone can think of anything else I might be forgetting or need any info. please let me know.