460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 F150
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 460 that I'm going to put in my 79 f150 2wd with a c6.Its out of a 75 t bird all stock. Blocks in good shape and measures good. So planning on using stock pistons. The truck will be used occasionally for towing but mostly for cruising. Looking for 375hp and 450-500ft tourque. If the stock intake will do the job ill us it, 750 carb, comp extreme cam 34-235 . I have a set of dove heads but need totally rebuilt. Would I be better off decking the block and heads to up the compression and use the d3s.? Or go with rebuilding the doves just thinking that ill have alot of $ tyed up in the heads by the time I'm done. Thx

·
Registered
156 Posts
getting the motor to eficiantly flow the best it can in this case is key, heads would be the best you probably could do, i would not deck the block or heads just have them surfaced and made flat, i would definitly use forged pistons there are lower cost forged pistons out there that in this case would work very well, and you can get a 10;1 piston a thick head gasket (.040) decking the block and head will mis align the intake ports more than they are stock, good cam, heads.carb,intake and ignition system i would think you would come out over 400 hp and a boat load of tourqe just my thoughts

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Thx for the info!

Tight quench for any given static c/r = detonation resistance and increased torque with a potential for less total timing needed NA.

Stock pistons are fine. Deck the block .025" to get the oem pistons close to 0 deck.
D3 heads with a simple valve job, back cut valves both intake and exhaust and top the guides. Use p/c seals.

If you are replacing the pistons use the 93 and up EFI hypers with a taller compression height and smaller dish. Less to deck and higher static c/r into the high 8's to low nines.

Deck the heads .015"

This gets static c/r from about 7.7 to 1 into the low 8's.

207 / 219 custom voodoo cam ground on a 110 in at 106.

34 to 36 degrees total timing in at 3000 rpm. 14* initial. 14* vacuum advance.

performer intake is about 20 hp better than the OEM iron intake if you block or restrict the heat cross over.

OEM intake is better only below about 2000 rpm.

The above will make an honest 370 gross hp and 490 tq.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
79 F150
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Scott. The price they want for the intakes i might just go with the stock. What carb would you suggest? I've been looking at the edelbrock avs2 650 or 800?

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Used performer intakes are easy to find. keep an eye out.

The 650 is adequate the 750 will leave room to grow especially if you have headers.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts