460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D1VE Block .030 over
2Y internal bal. crank .010/.010 under
Box stock SCJA heads (either these or Paul Kanes "drag ported" D0VES??
5140 RPM rods (might go to something a little stronger instead)
Forged alum pistons (have not decided)

Would like to go Zero Deck..

Looking to run on 110 race fuel... 66 Merc. 1/2 Ton... Hopefully 3500-4000 pounds... Budget drag truck.

I'm looking for a rough estimate on what I could make for power... I would to get the compression ratio as high as possible. I don't know exactly where I'm going with this yet, and would like some opinions.

Thanks

Thanks!

· Registered
2,287 Posts
Since "budget" is the first word for your budget drag truck, nitrous is the cheapest power. Are you going roller cam? If so and if it's got much more than .650" or so lift, I'd go with the scj heads. At .600 and below, the D0VE heads are pretty good and if the price on those is cheap enough that you could spend the saved money elsewhere to go faster, that'd prob be a good way to do it. For drag use, I'd concentrate on rpms and big cam. Sooo, H beam rods, decently light pistons, CJ port heads, and solid roller.

· Registered
10,855 Posts
D1VE Block .030 over
5140 RPM rods (might go to something a little stronger instead)
Forged alum pistons (have not decided)

Would like to go Zero Deck..

Looking to run on 110 race fuel... 66 Merc. 1/2 Ton... Hopefully 3500-4000 pounds... Budget drag truck.

I'm looking for a rough estimate on what I could make for power... I would to get the compression ratio as high as possible. I don't know exactly where I'm going with this yet, and would like some opinions.

Thanks

Thanks!
"SOME" power is a rather wide open statement and means absolutely nothing unless "SOME" is at least a little defined.
The SCJA heads is a MUCH better starting place for building power.

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "some" power, I'm mean 500-600 H.P... Would be nice to hit the 600 H.P. mark, but I don't want something that will grenade on me.

Not going with a roller cam... I'm on a budget here...

SCJA heads are the same price as a pair of complete ported D0VE's through Paul Kane, I don't know what Paul's "Drag Ported" D0VEs flow yet though...

Not a big nitrous fan... I have been thinking about it lately, but there is something about running with no power adders that just feels right...

Roller rockers? I'm guessing the SCJA heads are already set up for them?

Don't know anything about what I want for a piston yet. Lots of compression on 110 race fuel, zero decked, SCJA heads.. What do you think?

Appreciate the help guys!

· Registered
10,855 Posts
By "some" power, I'm mean 500-600 H.P... Would be nice to hit the 600 H.P. mark, but I don't want something that will grenade on me.

Not going with a roller cam... I'm on a budget here...

SCJA heads are the same price as a pair of complete ported D0VE's through Paul Kane, I don't know what Paul's "Drag Ported" D0VEs flow yet though...

Not a big nitrous fan... I have been thinking about it lately, but there is something about running with no power adders that just feels right...

Roller rockers? I'm guessing the SCJA heads are already set up for them?

Don't know anything about what I want for a piston yet. Lots of compression on 110 race fuel, zero decked, SCJA heads.. What do you think?

Appreciate the help guys!
A 477 with SCJA heads making 600 horsepower is a "walk in the park".
Flat top, forged pistons at "0" deck will bring a little over 12/1 compression ratio, back-cut the intake valves, get a Victor, (or FRPP equivelent), intake manifold. The vehicle usage will be a factor in determining the carburetor and camshaft but, a Lunati #416A5LUN will get you past 600 horsepower with that combo.

Get a better rod...

· Premium Member
5,665 Posts
D1VE Block .030 over

Thanks!
The Drag Port cylinder head is a very, very special purpose head and not a cylinder head for a little ol' 600 hp build. They also require custom headers fabbed from scratch, etc, etc. Your typical well ported D0VE heads are the much better choice for such a combo than the Drag Port heads

In builds supporting ~600 hp or less, I have a personal preference for the factory iron, but the current SCJ pricing is good right now and also gives you room to grow. If 600 hp is all you want then either head can get you there; at that point it depends just how you want to get there.

Paul

· Registered
101 Posts
I just can't see how nitrous can be called cheap horsepower. At the cost of the set up, the filling of the bottle, and the broken parts, I can't justify it , sorry, JMO, Randy.
The only time you break parts with Nitrous is when you dont spend the time or money to tune it properly all you are doing is burning more fuel and releasing more BTU's or energy Nitrous does not break parts poor tunes do... For $400 or so you can bolt on 200-250 Hp at the push of a botton or micro switch only when you need it. Tell me how else you can get that much bang for your buck???

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, lets say I went with a set of iron heads from Paul. With a good port job, what will it take me to hit that 600+ H.P. mark?

At this level, will roller rockers be necessary? It would be a good idea, for sure; but when do those factory style stamped rockers become a no-no?

What about the weight difference between those SJCA heads and a set of irons... Would the weight difference, considering the engine output is the same, slow me down much?

Thanks again.

· Registered
10,855 Posts
The only time you break parts with Nitrous is when you dont spend the time or money to tune it properly all you are doing is burning more fuel and releasing more BTU's or energy Nitrous does not break parts poor tunes do... For $400 or so you can bolt on 200-250 Hp at the push of a botton or micro switch only when you need it. Tell me how else you can get that much bang for your buck???
Is there a magical way the extra horsepower gets to the flywheel or does it still go by way of all those parts below the combustion chamber which are connected to the crankshaft...?

· Registered
101 Posts
every extra 100lbs will slow ya down about .1 or a tenth of a second this will very with the vehicle and weight... the lighter the car the more it affects it. I picked up almost one full second switching to skinny tires up front and a lighter narrower tire in the rear..

· Registered
101 Posts
Is there a magical way the extra horsepower gets to the flywheel or does it still go by way of all those parts below the combustion chamber which are connected to the crankshaft...?
very true but in my own experiance a "for the most part" stock 460 I had held together for years of laying 200 hp of nitrous at it no problem stock cast slugs and all I sold the truck and motor to a highschool friend who to this day 9 years later is still driving it no issue yet... 1978 f100 LOVED that truck...

· Registered
190 Posts
Still not cheap

I know the install price is reasonable, but, how many passes can a bottle make? And how much does a bottle cost to fill? Can you run your 200-250 shot safely with pump gas? I'm simply saying it just doesn't seem cheap to me. I would rather spend the money for a stroker pump gas set up and just use the gas pedal for power, Randy.

· Registered
101 Posts
I know the install price is reasonable, but, how many passes can a bottle make? And how much does a bottle cost to fill? Can you run your 200-250 shot safely with pump gas? I'm simply saying it just doesn't seem cheap to me. I would rather spend the money for a stroker pump gas set up and just use the gas pedal for power, Randy.
Runing 200hp jetting I can make 3 passes if im sprayn start to finish (1/4mile). I can get my bottles filled in central Wisconsin for less than $40.00 I ran mine with 93 octane and large 95cc stock heads. In my area I can also purchase E-85 if I wish to run on that (you can tune your Nitrous system for E-85 only and run a seperate 1 gal fuel cell and fuel pump if ya like still pump gas). If you are a bracket racer than you probly will not be a big fan of nitrous if you are just a test and tune or heads up kinda guy than nitrous can be your best friend. You can also take your stroker pump gas set up and add nitrous to that and then you have the pedal for power and the button for an additional 1-500+ hp depending on what you have for a motor and if it can take the extra force put on it at least thats what fits me best mild street motor turns into wild animal...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.