460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question:
Long story short, there is some question about my tq converter stall speed. I wanted about a 2000, but I may have been given a diesel (1400) rated converter. For purely street driving, how would such a low stall speed be? Engine will have a little over 500 lbs of torque, but I think not until about 3500rpms. In a 4000 lb vehicle with a highway gear, would the actual stall be higher anyway? Thanks for your time and patience,
James

oh, yeah, is there any way to check the stall BEFORE installation...I don't want to be stuck with a dog, but I'm trying to get this thing on the road without more money on parts I already bought:(....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
[QUOTE....... but I'm trying to get this thing on the road without more money on parts I already bought:(....[/QUOTE]

well i have not have much luck fighting that battle! two or three strikes on a lot of stuff, lol. but back to your original question yes a low stall converter will kill your acceleration. lots of solutions, somebody will suggest a custom build but if i were you i would look at summit for the tci stuff they sell. i got a 700 dollar converter that aint right sitting on a shelve. one of the great forum members donated me his tci verter. go figure. fwiw, zbob

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Yes, 1400 stall + heavy car + high rpm engine = pig.

A 2500-3000 stall converter will be a night and day difference in off the line performance, but it'll also flash to that higher stall on hills since you have hwy gears. For street driving, you'll want the stall speed to be lower than your hwy cruising speed. In my experience, a 2000 stall won't be enough. 2500 is a decent comprimise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yep, that's what I thought, guess I need to get out of denial and pony up for the right part:mad: ZBOB, you've shown me the way....I need DONORS....LOTS AND LOTS OF D O N O R S. :D..LOL

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
well i have not have much luck fighting that battle! two or three strikes on a lot of stuff, lol. but back to your original question yes a low stall converter will kill your acceleration. lots of solutions, somebody will suggest a custom build but if i were you i would look at summit for the tci stuff they sell. i got a 700 dollar converter that aint right sitting on a shelve. one of the great forum members donated me his tci verter. go figure. fwiw, zbob[/QUOTE]

I got you beat, got an $850 converter that don't work worth a crap but also got a converter shop 30 miles away so I can get it fixed but then I will have $1150 in my converter.:( Shoulda learned a little more about converters before I just called Jegs and ordered what I thought I needed... Ever tried to footbrake a converter to 3500 that is set-up for nitrous and a trans-brake. Being able to get up on the converter made .8sec difference in quarter once I was able to do it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Some last minute questions...

I verified with Daaco that the part number = a towing converter for a C6 and diesel engine. They said that meant the stall should be around 1400 rpms. Even for a diesel, wouldn't a towing converter mean a higher stall to get more power quicker? I will be doing about 50% highway driving...road trips, that's why I have a 2.75 open right now. Using the calculators, I think I would be okay with a 3.00 posi and 28" tires for cruising at 60-65 mph. That would be about 2350 rpms. What stall would you guys recommend for this type of driving?
Recap:
Finished 56 panel truck will be:
Weight: 4000 lbs.
Tires: 28"
rear: 3.00:1 posi
Engine: ~500 hp/tq based on the power chart on this site...
thanks for your patience and knowledge,
James

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got a little more info from Daaco this evening.

"James,

In reference to your email, our PP3682D converter is designed as a Towing converter. What that means, is that at take off it is designed to have a hi-stall (approx 1800-2200) and then at top end as you are pegging out, it drops to a low-stall to save on fuel. So actually, we don’t have an actual stall range for that particular converter. If you have any other question please feel free to call me at the number listed below!"

Does that make a difference for a street truck? Still confused...if the converter "flashes" to 2200 rpms during take off or towing, isn't that good enough? Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts