460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal for building my 527 stroker was around a few months is now over several months due to health problems. I've never placed myself into this situation before. I have the engine mostly built as a long block, do I need to lube the valve train, cylinders/pistons with either oil, marine fogging oil spray, Marvel Mystery Oil (which I've never used) WD-40 or others, etc. ? I have a lot of changes to preform with building new motor mounts as I'm going from a FE to a 460 engine, chassis and steering to do, so it's going to take time.
I can rotate the engine using the crank bolt of course.

I assume,....I'll have it ready to start by late winter to spring, but not sure. 馃

Registered
Hi, as long as you used assembly lube during assembly you should be OK.. be sure to run the oil pump before you start it.. Starting at TDC, Run pump turn the crank 1/2 turn, run pump Turn crank 1/2 a turn, run pump turn crank another 1/2 turn, run pump turn crank 1/2 turn, That should put you back to TDC.
Remember crank turns twice to one turn of the distributor.. Thats why the 4 - 1/2 turns above.

good luck take care be safe
tim

Registered
I do the same, but add another 1/2-turn, so the engine doesn't sit for months or years compressing the same valve springs. You should be fine. Do a lookup on winterizing engines, or marine storage techniques; but IMO I would give it some rotational attention every few weeks in any case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts