460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing the M&H 676-ROD-09R radials for the back of the Cobra.

http://www.intercotire.com/site50.php

Any opinions on these drag radials on the street?

The part that bothers me is the R rating. I called M&H and they said they don't test, and don't intend to test, beyond an R rating for this tire. That seems a little strange to me, considering the intended use.

Byron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem...

The car has 17" rims, 12" wide.

The need is for streetable rubber. For Road Race tires; I think I have more options.

Im thinking about going to 18s or 19s in the rear, that would open up the options considerably.

When I did this, I intended to run 390x710x17 treaded DOT legal race rubber in the rear. I guess I took too long building the car; they have obsoleted that tire size and I cant find them anymore.

My remaining options for wide 17" rubber is 335 series radials (not enough sidewall to look right in these wheel openings), the M&H I just mentioned (would look right, dont know about the rest), or the Mickey Thompson Pro-Streets...which are 31" in diameter...which will make the rear look pretty weird. Probably OK for straight line, but they wouldn't corner.

So, there's the rub.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
390x710x17????.... maybe look at road race tires, drag radials are designed to work on the strip with a huge amount of heat spun into them otherwise they're useless. can we get a pic of the car your wanting these tires for? the M&H may be the only option for you. 335s are friggin HUGE! how big are these wheelwells?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Re: The problem...

ByronRACE said:
The car has 17" rims, 12" wide.

The need is for streetable rubber. For Road Race tires; I think I have more options.

Im thinking about going to 18s or 19s in the rear, that would open up the options considerably.

When I did this, I intended to run 390x710x17 treaded DOT legal race rubber in the rear. I guess I took too long building the car; they have obsoleted that tire size and I cant find them anymore.

My remaining options for wide 17" rubber is 335 series radials (not enough sidewall to look right in these wheel openings), the M&H I just mentioned (would look right, dont know about the rest), or the Mickey Thompson Pro-Streets...which are 31" in diameter...which will make the rear look pretty weird. Probably OK for straight line, but they wouldn't corner.

So, there's the rub.

B
The Nitto's done real, real, well on my 04 Mach 1 it cornered hard enough to make you dizzy and done real well at the drag strip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fat tires

kyle102565 said:
390x710x17????.... maybe look at road race tires, drag radials are designed to work on the strip with a huge amount of heat spun into them otherwise they're useless. can we get a pic of the car your wanting these tires for? the M&H may be the only option for you. 335s are friggin HUGE! how big are these wheelwells?
Big.

Here's what 335's look like. They're dinky.



The 390x710x17's are about 2" wider and a perfect fit. Too bad they no longer exist.

And, here's why I want more sidewall...



The car is lowered 2" from that height now, but the gap is still too large. I can' t lower the car more; ground clearance is already a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure it'd help you Matt..

Matt Robison said:
Let me know if you decide to switch to 18" wheels.
If you're thinking about picking up my rears if I change to 18", I don't think it'd work out for you. They have over 9" of backspacing and a chevy bolt pattern. One of those two features would probably be incompatible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
Byron

Have you looked at either the M/T Sportsman S/R or the Hoosier Pro Street. Both tires are radials with a decently stiff sidewall. I have a pair of the Hoosiers on my wagon and I was very surprised at how well they handle in the corners. No they aren't road race tires but they do work pretty well - way better that the bias-ply stuff. They don't hook as good as some of the DOT slicks (it is pretty easy to blow them off when out squirling around on the street) but they also don't wear out in a tank or two (if you don't spin them every chance you get). From looking at the pics it would APPEAR that you could easily use a 29" - 30" tall tire to fill those wheel wells up nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TIre talk

cstmwgn said:
Byron

Have you looked at either the M/T Sportsman S/R or the Hoosier Pro Street. Both tires are radials with a decently stiff sidewall. I have a pair of the Hoosiers on my wagon and I was very surprised at how well they handle in the corners. No they aren't road race tires but they do work pretty well - way better that the bias-ply stuff. They don't hook as good as some of the DOT slicks (it is pretty easy to blow them off when out squirling around on the street) but they also don't wear out in a tank or two (if you don't spin them every chance you get). From looking at the pics it would APPEAR that you could easily use a 29" - 30" tall tire to fill those wheel wells up nicely.
I have looked at the M/Ts, and I agree...they would probably work fine but only if I went to an 18" rim. They've cut all 17's from the lineup.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanSR

Those in back with some 50 series in the front would probably look OK and work OK for the street and straight-line screwing around. I didn't look at the hoosier pro-street, they have a nice tire option...thanks a bunch for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
i dont know how the M&H's work now ,weve been usingM/H slicks at the track,but back in the day about 15 years ago the M&H L60-15B was one good hooking duel purpose tire. They would allow you to jerk the tires off the ground about 4" and run 1.60s 60' times. They didnt hook that good on the street like at the track but during that time there was nothing that came even close to them. But the tread didnt last that long on them ,even though we used to run them llike a slick after the tread was gone. They didnt seem to quit working till you saw cords hanging out of them. But that was then when i had a mid 12's car. thats my experience......Ron
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top