460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a good business to get in to? I am an automotive Engineering Manager
with a lot of experience on the industrial side of machine tolerences and equipment.

It seems that anytime I call the shop and I use several..... they are always overloaded with work. Even with the down-turn of the economy.

Almost all engineers in the automotive world (at least the ones that I know) are always looking into some kind of business to start or to get into so that they can get out of the automotive day to day "working for the man".

I have been thinking lately about my passion which is "Engines" and "Engine Building". I have even looked into pricing new and used equipment to get started on the side.

I guess I am looking for suggestions on how to start and any info on purchasing equipment etc......what I should start with etc..

I would assume advertising web-sites etc would be use-ful.

I would start by buying the equipment needed to freshen engines and then move into purchasing more equipment as the business grows so that nothing has to go outside.

Looking to start in a year or so. I appreciate all helpful comments

Adrian Way 606-260-0103

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Call 804-458-5078. That is the number for "The Shop", which has been doing my machine work for 20+ years. Ask Louis your questions, and if he doesn't cuss you out and hang up on you, you might learn something. :D Louis and rmcomprandy could be soul brothers. They might hurt your feelings if you are a pussy, but they won't steer you wrong. :cool:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It could be a very good thing to get into...especially if you are in an area that has a lack of machine shops around, or if the nearest one is an hour or more away.

But its the quality of work that will ensure success!! That and customer service/relations.

I have a friend who has purchased some machines, mostly the cylinder head equipment. He's started out in his garage, and he's already swamped with work!!

He's done some top level stuff (like alcohol funny car heads & the like), and does a very good job. He's very thorough and does'nt let anything go out the door that has'nt been double or triple checked!!

So using his example, you would be wise to start off the same way. Get the valve & seat machine, a surfacer, a lathe and a mill. Get all the tooling for the required job, like a valve spring pressure tester for example.

A good cleaning system and blast cabinet, magnaflux unit & more.

You'd be off to a good start there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts