·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally made some progress.
tacked some plates in the rear for my cross bar

got both frame rails notched for tire clearance

got the subframe connecters trimmed and fitted and tacked in

this is basiclly what the car looks like sitting in the garage. it makes me sad.

heres the mess from the other end.

hopefully ill be welding the connectors in the rest of the way, fitting my out riggers and i can finally start fitting the cage and stuff in.
right now , time is not my friend.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Looking good! I know what you mean about time it's not my friend either!

S

·
0 Posts
Hey,
Just wanted to add nice work!.. One thing tho.. right as the subframe connector meets the rear floor board (at the rear seat) weld in some additional plate. Actually there should have been a plate welded there first.. Like ya did on the out riggers to the side panel.. (in your pic below) But I think ya can get by with notching a plate to fit around the tube and just weld it all together.. Don't ya just love the smell when welding on the floor board? UCK!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking more like a cage. got the front out riggers started, still have too trim the bottoms off.

top side

a piller

roof bar

its all tacked in place right now. next is remove the dash, install the dash bar and weld up the joints better then drop it down out of the floor and weld the tops up real good then put it back up in the car and weld it in soild and start fitting the rest of the bars in, im going too replace the head liner and put the upper interior pieces back in before it goes back up in the car...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Looks like a very nice job. Should make a strong chassis. Wish I was that far along. :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phil said:
way more than I'd tackle. Nice work!

Keeping that color? I like it a lot. My favorite is the teal color. Your's may be a tie for 1st.
not sure yet, hard too make my mind upo sometimes. still kicking ideas around. :lol:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Awesome job.......a whole lot of welding, but it will be worth it in the end.
Just remember all the money you are saving doing it yourself.
My buddy just got his car back from the chassis shop, as he was dead set on having that tag on his car. They back halved it, all the aluminum panels, and the 25.5 cage..............best part is the bill when he picked it up $ 25000.00 I was grateful for doing my own as you are doing. Goodluck.....

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Great job! Where I drew the arrow is where s_stang is referring to about adding the plate. You need that! Also it would be a good idea if you can to add a doorsill bar where I drew the large black line. This will help to enhance the sub frame connectors and really stiffen it up.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
doug, theres just enough room for me to add those plates there!

and i was thinking of adding door sill bars there, i am running some tubing from the main down to the subframe connectors aswell, aswell as in the front. ill have to see if i have any tubing left for the door sills tho.i still have to pick up the funny car upgrade and figure out where to put those bars and what not..thanks guys! :wink:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah doug, some of the floor pan will be repalced with sheet steel, bead rolled! i got the dash bar and one door bar fabbed , fitted and tacked in tonight, and tomarrow ill have the other door bar in, and get some welding done on the other joints so i can drop it thru the floor, and weld the tops up. then put it back up in the car and get all the other bars in.plus i need to add those plates in.

I'll post more pics tomarrow night!

S

·
0 Posts
Wow Ya Rock!.. Looks great! I was shocked that ya put the dash bar in with the dash still installed! HooT!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts