460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best main bearings for a street strip application?

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
Dave McLain
(no login)
216.229.73.92 Best Bearings
No score for this post December 31 2001, 4:02 PM

I use the Federal Mouul 3/4 groove main bearings and either the Federal Mogul or Clevite HP rod bearings is our race stuff. On the street I would use the Clevite main and rod bearings, just regular stock stuff, not fully grooved on the mains! The thrust will be full grooved on them and I guess that's ok. I think the stock bearings are just fine up to 6500 rpm with the right clearances.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE Clevite cam bearings in the big block Ford engine! You can ask Jimmy at Engine Systems about that! Especially with a roller cam! We have both had one stick to the cam and then shrink and spin in the block for no reason at all, use the DURA BOND or ACL bearings and you will be just fine, you can bet I would on my engine.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Bret
(no login)
208.31.189.240 Excellent brg. advice
No score for this post December 31 2001, 7:30 PM

This is exactly what I use in my pulling truck. The 3/4 groove F.M. bearings are also HP series. These HP bearings have a blueish and bronze look. Very different looking than standard brg's.

Buddy T
(no login)
205.188.196.26 Re: Best Bearings
No score for this post January 1 2002, 1:27 PM

What block was you using when you had the cam bearing spin? We have seen this in high horsepower engines using a stock but not in the A460 block.

Blacklariat
(no login)
152.163.194.177 Cam bearings
No score for this post January 2 2002, 12:29 AM

I went through the best bearings thing too within the last couple weeks here. I am doing a 460 +.030 with ported DOVE-C heads, Milodon valves, Dove roller rockers, Lunati cam, and a Blue Thunder dual quad. Anyhow I had more than one person tell me that under no circumstances to use assembly GREASE on the cam bearings. They all said the grease would stick the cam to the bearings at initial startup. This may be BS, I don't know, but if more than 1 person made this point, there might be something to it.

Dave McLain
(no login)
216.229.73.136 Spun cam bearings
No score for this post January 2 2002, 1:50 PM

I always use MPZ assembly lube on everything while building engines. I never use grease because I think it could possibly block an oil hole, but I doubt that would happen. The real problem with using a thick lube while building an engine is that lots of grease will not desolve into the oil during startup and it will block the filter causing problems.

Also, the block I was using at the time was a DOVE-A stock block. I really think that the problem was with the bearing material not being compatable with the steel cam core. I would say that once the engine has run for a few minutes with no problems I would say that you would be in the clear. This was with a cam that would turn by hand easily also. This was the only problem I've ever had with this on any engine.

Ken
(no login)
165.154.190.28 514
No score for this post January 4 2002, 2:21 PM

Recently a friend of mine built a 514 and during the 2000 rpm cam breakin the second from front cam bearing seized to the journal snapping the cam in half behind, then seizing in the bore and snapping the cam in front of the bearing.

mcs
(Login mcsteiny)
216.224.150.169 Try some good moly lube...it disolves into the oil...
No score for this post January 4 2002, 10:09 PM

I have an old can of Isky Moly lube that has never been opened since the sixties, when I bought it. I wouldn't use it now, because it is probably a collecter piece! LOL. Their is other contemporary moly lube out though.

Mike
(no login)
209.143.56.106 Thanks...
No score for this post January 4 2002, 10:21 PM

for the advice and information, I decided to go with Clevites and I probably would have used their cam bearings too but I found the Durabond brand that was mentioned. There's been lots of ots of good information on 429-460 oiling systems lately. Thanks again for the bearing advice guys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Clevite Cam Bearings.......

# 4 bearing did not spin, but came 2/3 of the way out. I just purchased an A460 engine combo with 48 200' passes and 9 dyno pulls. This is what we found when we tore into this engine. Could not figure out why bearing was out that far, but the roller lifter had chewed 1/2 way thru it. You can imagine the debris in the bottom of the pan. Looks like a wide bearing would be a lot better. Just my pennies worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts