460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to get ideas from Lem, Carsbycarl, and other engine builders, thanks I have mine off now, was wondering if I should put it back on when we put motor back together, I thought I read on here where guys said they weren't needed. Harold

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey, Harold:
Most will tell you that it's not needed until you get way up in the "crazy range" HP and RPM's. But I look at it as "insurance", I put a steel main girdle on my 460 crate motor, and the bottom end is still in one peice, and it's going into my sons 460 powered (soon to be) 89 GT. I was turning it to 7,200 regularly with no problems. Hope this was helpful.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
More than likely the engine builders will tell you that if you are looking to make over 800-900hp you would be better off going with a A460 or Eliminator block. Compared to the money spent on 4bolt mains and other voodo that might could be done to a 2 bolt block. Other wise a 2 bolt block is good to 800hp dependent on tune.

Maybe you can hook one of the many engine builders into voicing his opinion.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I'm not sure whether the ENTIRE girdle is actually necessary but, it does tie one main to the next.
A 1/2 thick 4340 strap across the top of each main cap seems to work just as well but, certainly more hastle to make; less hastle to fit though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts