460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 66' Mercury M100 truck... Turning it into a Street/Strip toy.

Anybody have any idea how much these trucks weigh?

Plans are 521 C.I. SCJA heads, alum. water pump and rad, Broader Perf. C-6... N case 9", 35 spline, Detroit locker, alum. pinion support, cal-tracs... (decided against 4-link due to budget)

There is not a lot to these old trucks, and I'm looking for ways to lighten it up.

What have you guys done? This truck is not caged and will be driven on the street occasionally

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run a 1975 f100 long bed with a 557 pump gas motor. the things I've done to lighten are, aluminum rad., electric water pump, manual steering[ including changing box and column], aluminum wheels. It weighs 4340 with me in it. It is too fast for no cage, so I'm launching in second gear to slow it down, and I still can run 11.44 on a good day. I drive it on the street and haul mulch and make dump runs etc. Your plans sound great, but it's gonna be pretty darn fast. Randy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I run a 1975 f100 long bed with a 557 pump gas motor. the things I've done to lighten are, aluminum rad., electric water pump, manual steering[ including changing box and column], aluminum wheels. It weighs 4340 with me in it. It is too fast for no cage, so I'm launching in second gear to slow it down, and I still can run 11.44 on a good day. I drive it on the street and haul mulch and make dump runs etc. Your plans sound great, but it's gonna be pretty darn fast. Randy.
Thanks!

My truck has manual steering right now... I thought about converting over to power steering. How does she turn?

Another question...

What size rear tire do you run? I'm wondering what I will be able to fit as I am not tubbing or anything..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truck looks great randy. What kind of rear suspension set up do you have going on?

I found out that these trucks weigh from 3700-3900 LBS. Not to shabby.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't laugh, due to lack of money I had to improvise. I just have slapper bars, but I installed ubolts around the rear housing running up through the frame topped off with a set of valve springs. this keeps the rear from separating from the frame. It works ok, but it rides a little choppy, Randy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
what about skinning the hoods on these trucks? or aftermarket? you could replace the rear glass with lexan but it's not cheap. you could take the door panels off and go to town with a hole saw. the twin i beam and HUGE cross member in these trucks have got to weigh a lot i would think. a fun project and something i have always wanted to do is make a fiberglass front bumper. if you still have a rear bumper replace it with a roll pan. lots of things you can do it's just about how far/fast do you want to go?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts