460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Hooked up timing light to car, started car, set idle timing @ 10 deg. car idles good. Rev up to 3000 or so look at timing pointer with gun, advance is all over the place 35 - 47 deg. I think this may be the reason why my car is over heating at cruzing speeds. 60 - 70, also I can feel the car surging.

I have a newer Mallory series 37 mech advance dist w/ balast resistor inline. What could be the problem?

1. HV oil pump (melling) pulling to hard on dist, or making it run eratic?

2. Weights are messed up and not working right (never messed with one of these before it came on the car when I got it)..

Car does good cruzing around stoplight to stoplight in town, but once you hit highway over 60 is when the temp gauge creaps up...

Anyone have good webistes how to adjust or change the advance settings...

Thanks,
Dan Weaver

· Registered
724 Posts
Mallory dist

Is yours a Unilite, magnetic, or dual point? Was it factory set or were any conversion kits done? Mallory, Petronix? etc? All "YL" series Mallory distributors can have the advance changed by springs, and a key way that uses a plastic tool to set the curve. Both are located below the module or points plate in the dist. You can order the advance kit through Summit, it comes with a variety of springs and the tool and detailed instructions. We use it regularly on blower motors. The reason I asked about conversion kits is Mallory dist. shafts have a removeable top that changes from points type (has the cam) to unilite type (no cam) and its held in by a clamp and set screw. If it comes loose you will have timing all over the place if it runs at all. With out being in front of you car and looking at other possible issues its hard to say its the dist for sure, but this will give you some things to check. Greg blown473

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.