460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I talked to Pertronix the other day to figure out what kit I need for my distributor. It is a Mallory, Dual Points, YC516HP is the model number on it which is what I told Pertronix. Now, they gave me two possibilities depending on exactly which dist. I have.

1. Reverse Polarity, Double Life 4-lobes

2. 8 lobes

How exactly do I figure out which one I have? I mean, I guess I would coutn the cam lobes but in all honesty I don't know what those are/look like. My only guess would be the piece in the center that spins and makes contact with the points but I don't want to "guess" so.

thanks in advance for the help guys!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what you need to count the number of flat spots is what they are looking for.
Thanks, that is what I thought but I wanted to make 100% sure!

How are Dual Points themselves? The distributor only has a couple hundred miles on it so I was thinking about just using it as-is for now just to get the motor up and running and spending that money on an ignition box instead.

·
Registered
724 Posts
dual points

They will work great, you just need to check the gap every now and then, on an 8 lobe Mallory its 020 , I can't remember the 4 lobe. By the way you can run the 8 lobe dist on 1 point if you want to, two points adds dwell time if you are only using a coil, with a box it doesn't really matter,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 4-lobe unit... plan to run an MSD 6A or something similar along with a decent coil. I will be running a little nitrous next year, probably a 200 shot or so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
as for my gap, assuming between the point and the flat, .06mm fits through smoothly, .07mm it a snugger fit. I think that is like .0025". I can get the .08mm through it but not easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts