460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to have a fellow board member give me a mallory 2556701 point distributor for free. After talking with mallory today part# 559 will convert it to electrontric. Well i was on the phone and got talking with the tech he had suggessted their coil 29440 without running the ballast that comes with it and running the mallory 685 ignition box made for super charged motors. The box has a two stage rev limeter, automatic start retard, and a built-in rpm window switch ideal for nitrous.

My question to all this is i noticed most everyone runs MSD boxes, is this due to preference or is there other reasons why i should not run mallory all the way through?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
ive ran,and installed mallory boxes on a lot of cars, never a problem

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was lucky enough to have a fellow board member give me a mallory 2556701 point distributor for free. After talking with mallory today part# 559 will convert it to electrontric. Well i was on the phone and got talking with the tech he had suggessted their coil 29440 without running the ballast that comes with it and running the mallory 685 ignition box made for super charged motors. The box has a two stage rev limeter, automatic start retard, and a built-in rpm window switch ideal for nitrous.

My question to all this is i noticed most everyone runs MSD boxes, is this due to preference or is there other reasons why i should not run mallory all the way through?
I have ran them the whole time I've been in thus. I have 3the mallory setups fir sale and I have atleast one of those coils

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've observed that most people use what they have become familiar with.I've tried others but I keep comming back to MSD.I think a complete MSD system perfoms better.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I know for myself the ease of getting parts keeps me using MSD, most parts stores have parts in stock for them. I have installed a few Mallory distributors and boxes on chevies for guys and nothing that would make me dislike them.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have called and talked to MSD yesterday and the one major thing the MSD box has, is the abilitly to turn a knob and change the amount of retard. The box they recommended and also a fellow supercharged board member recommended was the 6 btm box. Being that my car will be mostly street and from gas station to gas station it would be nice to adjust if i was having issues due to the quality of gas. i haven't completly made my mind up yet as i have about 5-6 months before i need to make that final decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts