460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi yeah I know the 292-312 Y blocks have the back dizzy.. but they aren't really around ..
I was think 460, 351 302 400
What GM's other than the Caddy had front dizzy??
tim
Buick small and big blocks. And, no, not all GMs are the same engine. Actually none of them are until the mid 70s when the "corporate" engines started being used. Olds, Buick, and Pontiac 455s have absolutely no interchangeable parts, and neither do Olds, Buick, Pontiac, and Chevy 350s. You could probably find some bolts that would interchange, but absolutely nothing else is the same, they're as different as a Studebaker 289 is to a Ford 289.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi guys!
I’m brand new to BBF (actually to American motors in general, I come from the land of BMW) so apologies if this is a relatively basic probl

I picked up an old jet boat that I’ve been trying to get running. It has a Hardin marine 460 (D3VE-A2A heads with SCJ/marine manifold).

I can’t for the life of me get this thing to start. The guy I bought it from said it wasn’t running well and he had made some attempts at fixing it, so I have no idea what might have been done.

The original 4160 carb was well past it’s prime, and I just installed a new AED HM-series 850cfm 4150.

When I try it start it, it just cranks indefinitely, with an occasional light sputter. There is fuel in the bowls, and I get a nice squirt of gas from the accelerator pump. I tried using some starting fluid, which just causes a big backfire out of the top.

I pulled a few plugs and held them against the block, and I can clearly see a spark. I confirmed that the plug wires are in the correct order, based on a diagram I found. I thought the disty might be 180 out so I turned the motor to the TDC mark on the balancer and the pointer was nowhere near #1 so I tried to swap it, but same issue. The pointer definitely looks to be pointed at #1 at TDC now, but if anything the backfiring became more consistent.

Disty is super corroded, both inside and around the base. I have the vacuum advance disconnected but the whole advance mechanism appears to be seized.

I was about to order a new disty, coil, and plug wires (plus a timing light) but I figured I might be missing something that would be obvious to someone more knowledgeable.

Is there anything else I should try first, or should I start throwing ignition parts at it?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I had the same problem once, my magnetic pick up wires were reversed

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you get around to pulling the dizzy... check the roll pin that holds the gear on the shaft. I've had two sheared over the years and both would run, then backfire and stall... the dizzy would be 180 out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts