460 Ford Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I think you’re right Tim, it does appear to be valve related. In the video you mostly hear exhaust, but when next to the motor there’s a pretty loud clacking sound, almost like the injector noise on an EFI motor.

My best guess is that a couple of rockers are loose and clacking around.

I fed it a can of Seafoam today, and it did quiet out a bit after running for a while. I think this might be because the lifters are refilling after sitting for a while.

I’ll pull the valve covers tomorrow and see if I can discover anything. From the research I’ve done, it looks like my D3VE-A2A heads have non-adjustable lifters, but still need to be tightened? So it’s possible they may be loose?

The procedure I saw was to tighten them up until no slack, and then go another 1/2 turn. Is this correct?

Is there anything else I should look for while I have the valve covers off?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
673 Posts
HI That 1/2 turn is for adjustable.. the non adjustable are Torqued to 18 to 20 FT. lbs. if they are verry loose look to see if when slacked they are all about the same height .. I don't remember what kind of work you've done but the lifters and maybe the cam are shot, could be some bent push rods too. When loose see if you can spin the push rods with your fingers and see if the feel or look like they spin true or are wobblie.. Can you run a compression test on the motor? On any of the low cylinders squart some oil in it and do it again if it doesn't go up the valves are bad.

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well I just pulled the valve covers and it turns out I’m missing 2 pushrods (#2 and #8 intake)

Interestingly, the lifters also appear to be missing. I can see the cam through the pushrod hole.

Seems pretty strange. I hope they aren’t inside the motor somewhere, but the lack of lifters makes it seem like someone assembled it without them.

I’m sure this also means I’ve had no oil pressure this whole time which is a great feeling.

Time to pull the manifold I guess.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bicycle part Bumper
Hand tool Wood Font Artifact Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Welp, I found them.

Two lifters and two very bent pushrods in the valley.

Luckily, I think I can re-use the lifters. Need to track down some pushrods. They appear to measure about 8.59”, but I’m not able to measure very precisely since my calipers max out at 6”. They look stock, and I believe the stock options that are available are either 8.55” or 8.64”. Maybe I’ll get two of each just in case?

Now, I guess the question is what caused them to bend in the first place. They look much less rusty on the top few inches than the good ones, so I’m guessing they’ve been in there for a while. Hopefully I don’t have two stuck valves. Should I put some penetrating oil or something into the intake ports to try to free them up?

Motor vehicle Audio equipment Engineering Auto part Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle door Road surface

Tire Automotive tire Yellow Automotive exterior Tread

·
Registered
673 Posts
HI Great.... look down the lifter bore the best you can and make sure the cam doesn't look damaged ... measure both an intake and a exhaust push rod.. some times they may be two different sizes leanght
Yes your rockers are non adjustable.. a boat motor is run with a lot of high RPM's so I'm not supersized on the bent push rods..Oh oil the lifters when you put them back in

tim

·
Registered
673 Posts
HI Just another thought ... might as well pull all the push rods and have a look at them all some look kind of rusty... might be some more damaged I've see smashed balls as well.. (Balls on the ends of the push rods..) make sure you can see thru the hole in them that's how they oil). If they ask when you go to get them they are called Ball and Ball (due to he balls on the ends)

tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welp, I found them.

Two lifters and two very bent pushrods in the valley.

Luckily, I think I can re-use the lifters. Need to track down some pushrods. They appear to measure about 8.59”, but I’m not able to measure very precisely since my calipers max out at 6”. They look stock, and I believe the stock options that are available are either 8.55” or 8.64”. Maybe I’ll get two of each just in case?

Now, I guess the question is what caused them to bend in the first place. They look much less rusty on the top few inches than the good ones, so I’m guessing they’ve been in there for a while. Hopefully I don’t have two stuck valves. Should I put some penetrating oil or something into the intake ports to try to free them up?

View attachment 94277 View attachment 94278
View attachment 94279
Hi there. I just joined and read this thread about boat 460. I had a Ford 460 in a jet boat and found similar to your condition here. Bent push rods in my limited experience are due to the boat sitting for long periods, and then running at high RPM. I had it happen when I was 37 miles from the marina. Was able to pull the push rod out, semi-straighten it and get back to the marina. After that, I bought a full set of Summit racing push rods, and roller rockers(adjustable). It was the best investment I made for the engine.

On a side note, you have a Berkeley JE jet drive. If it has been sitting for a while, the packing seals are aged, and will need to be replaced or adjusted with the two bolts just aft of the UJ to the engine(inside hull). If not done, they may get hot running out of water and damage the shaft(water cooled). See the Berkeley jet drive web for a link to the video. Also, remove those two small port pipe plugs on the rear top of the bowl. Use a 1 qt bottle of 90Wt gear lube, and squeeze the gear lube into one of the ports, and wait for clean gear lube to come up out of the other. The rear bearings and seals need the lube or it may seize or damage the shaft also. Next, just in front of the bowl flange, you will see a plate on the top of the jet drive, just under your swim step. The plate is held on by two wing nuts. Remove/loosen the wing nuts, and pop that plate off. Check the O ring on the plate, and check for crud with a mirror on the intake low pressure side of the jet. Also inspect the cond of the impeller leading edges.

Finally, based on your username, I bet you are a pilot? I'm also a pilot, and fly a 1951 Bonanza V tail.

Good luck with your new toy! Hope you get it sorted well. The valve train on these engines were not meant for continuous 4000RPM, and need upgrading.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts