460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, have the above engine/Car. Last night, after 6 months of finallygetting title, took for long ride. first leg about 45 miles,, ran great, no problems,, like a lincoln should.

return,, about 5 miles from home, it started to sputter, then died while driving, over the next 5 miles, i could crank it would start, run about half a mile, then engine died, i continued to coast and continued to start and it continued to die until i was lucky enough to get home. Typically, i would start it, rev it hard, and it would sound fine, then, i would put in gear, and it would run about 100 yards, sputter, then die, repeated process till i limped it in.

very disappointing after running so well,, just out of blue..

QUESTION??? would this be fuel line? fuel filter ( replaced 0rig carb with holley) , fuel pump? combo or all of the above, what would be first thing and process to eliminate and repair,

Thanks for any thoughts in advance,,,kim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you know,, after reading some other post of similar content,,, not knowing these engines,, i didnt put in a fuel filter after removing the original carb,, motocraft something or other,,, i didnt know it had the filter attached.. so,, this may be a problem, but i would still like other comment if this isn't it,, and if there isn't one,,, what should i buy and where should it be placed,,,
again, thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could be a bad coil that finally went south. Fuel filter in the tank clogged, water in the system, bad pump over heats and fails. More info on what we're working on would help.

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
What year?

This does sound like a filter or tank pick up issue.

If electronic igniton the box, pick up coil and ignition coil are suspect as well.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lincoln. 76. M 4. 460. Holley carb.
What year?

This does sound like a filter or tank pick up issue.

If electronic igniton the box, pick up coil and ignition coil are suspect as well.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Ive chged coil, electronic ignition bix on the wheel fender already. Ordered a fuel filter today, figured its the cheapest thing to fix and probly needed changing, even if not the culprit, but will see how ut goes from therr. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lincoln. 76. M 4. 460. Holley carb.

Ive chged coil, electronic ignition bix on the wheel fender already. Ordered a fuel filter today, figured its the cheapest thing to fix and probly needed changing, even if not the culprit, but will see how ut goes from therr. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
There was an known issue with the ignition system connections on those old Ford electronic systems. The symptoms would leave you to believe that you have a fuel problem when you actually have a high resistance connection problem, Unplug the connectors at the ignition control box and give each spade a slight twist with your needle nose pliers. Then go to the connector at the distributor and do the same. It's been too many years but there may be other connections in the system that need to need tweaked also. It costs nothing to give it a try.

Richard

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Pull the fuel tank and have a look inside, you might not like what you find. If it is the original tank I suspect you will find much rust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi again, have the above engine/Car. Last night, after 6 months of finallygetting title, took for long ride. first leg about 45 miles,, ran great, no problems,, like a lincoln should.

return,, about 5 miles from home, it started to sputter, then died while driving, over the next 5 miles, i could crank it would start, run about half a mile, then engine died, i continued to coast and continued to start and it continued to die until i was lucky enough to get home. Typically, i would start it, rev it hard, and it would sound fine, then, i would put in gear, and it would run about 100 yards, sputter, then die, repeated process till i limped it in.

very disappointing after running so well,, just out of blue..

QUESTION??? would this be fuel line? fuel filter ( replaced 0rig carb with holley) , fuel pump? combo or all of the above, what would be first thing and process to eliminate and repair,

Thanks for any thoughts in advance,,,kim
Tee in a fuel pressure gauge just before carb, duct tape it to windshield and go for drive, ditto on the duraspark elec. connectors too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,, i pulled the little screen on the holley carb, has some debris, its located, as you know, just inside the carb where the fuel goes,, just a little, also bought a fuel filter, but i cant for the life of me, find where the old one goes, i followed it under the car to about the door, then the line disappears and comes back at the tank. i dont see anywhere i can attach this filter,,, it has about a 1/2 set of threads on one end, and a nipple end on other, came with about a two in piece of hose and some clamps,,

so where would this part likely fit in..i just dont see a connection point.. unless it was designed to fit the old motocraft carb that i replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was an known issue with the ignition system connections on those old Ford electronic systems. The symptoms would leave you to believe that you have a fuel problem when you actually have a high resistance connection problem, Unplug the connectors at the ignition control box and give each spade a slight twist with your needle nose pliers. Then go to the connector at the distributor and do the same. It's been too many years but there may be other connections in the system that need to need tweaked also. It costs nothing to give it a try.

Richard
ok,, that will be easy enough,,

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
Both the Motorcraft 4300 and 4350's had the fuel filter on the carburetor.
You can place a fuel filter in the inlet line between the pump and carburetor. Try to keep it out of the fan wash.

Richard makes a good point about the DS ignition.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll 2nd SJ, that filter threads into the Ford carb... won't work for holley.

Use a universal filter (probably 5/16 fuel line) and clamps between mechanical pump and the carb.

While not common with stock engine / exhaust, if fuel line gets too hot (like during a long drive) it will vaporize fuel and the mech. pump on engine becomes ineffective.

Simple things first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
while it my be a problem during the day this was a night drive,, i did note some small stuff in the screen on the holley filter in the body of the filter,, very tiny stuff, blew it out, and installed a filter between the pump and the carb that i can see through, it starts fine, rides fine,, i m just a little scared to take off and dont want to get stuck 1o miles from town,, (rural montana) gonna have to thought to see if the filter shows any junk,, thanks again,

·
Premium Member
9,045 Posts
Keep in mind the possibility of tank contamination fouling the fuel pick up screen.

I've seen this too many times to count.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
114 Posts
Old gas tang and years of use and bad fuel. Probably rusty and driving it broke all that loose. Then when the level got down enough it satrted to plug the filter. Old tank? I'd clean it out anyway. I know it's not much fun, but better to get her done that set along a Montana road waiting for John Dutton or Rip to show up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
For a quick check, remove one of the bottom screws on the float bowl and observe whether any water droplets come out with the gas.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you ran it without a fuel filter and started having issues like you are describing then most likely you have some trash in the carb. Remove and disassemble the carb. You will likely see sediment in the fuel bowls. If you do that same crud is plugging up all the tiny passages in the carb. Carb cleaner, compressed air and a rebuild kit are then in order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah,, sounds like tank work may be in future,, gonna run it on nearby runs, close to home and run the gas out,, i did put in a new filter between the carb and pump,, for the immediate future, hope that keeps me out of trouble till i get the gas down to a workable level. i dont have exactly optimal working on car circumstances,, so i will just run it down,,
thanks for all the replies

1 - 19 of 19 Posts