460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and this dumb a** are having an argument on another board. He says Ford didn't come with a 4.900 bore space from the factory and can't have big cubic inches with 4.900. What is the maximum cubic inches you can have with 4.900 and does anyone know of something online where I can show him a link.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Frank Merkl i think has some big cubes out of a D0VE A block..
i'll see if i can find it.

edit. Ok i found it, its not as big as i thought.. it was 572 on a factory D0VE block.

·
8,522 Posts
4.900" is the stock spacing . There are two 638" engines local with the A460 blocks....the Eliminator will bore more yet , so 650" should not be out of the question .

·
Registered
262 Posts
806 Ci

Dad has an 806 with a cnc 12 aluminum block with a 6" stroke and 4.625 bore.
Do able and i think flatland racing has somthing like this for sale.
Also, Dads lastest plan is a 934. Thats not a typo!
6.875 stroke 4.680 piston and some 4" deck plates on top of the 12" block. THis is still a 4.9 bore spacing.
Don't know what he is thinking but it sure will be huge.
So you can tell your dumb a$$ friend this.
later
alan

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Dads lastest plan is a 934. Thats not a typo!
6.875 stroke 4.680 piston and some 4" deck plates on top of the 12" block. THis is still a 4.9 bore spacing.
Don't know what he is thinking but it sure will be huge.
So you can tell your dumb a$$ friend this.
later
alan
:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Alan. He still won't have it. I hate arguing with stupid people. He is now saying I had to narrow the shock towers on my car because the bore spacing is too big. Oh and get this. He says you can tell a 4.900 bore space from a 5.000 bore space by measuring the width of the intake. The chevy people are so stupid sometimes.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'll repeat a quote from a good friend: "Never argue with an idiot. Bystanders may not be able to tell the difference."

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks Alan. He still won't have it. I hate arguing with stupid people. He is now saying I had to narrow the shock towers on my car because the bore spacing is too big. Oh and get this. He says you can tell a 4.900 bore space from a 5.000 bore space by measuring the width of the intake. The chevy people are so stupid sometimes.
That's got to be one of the stupidest thing I have heard!!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
this chevy guy doesn't know the difference of bore spacing (lenght of block) from deck height (width) . drop that on him and see how stupid he stays

·
Registered
371 Posts
and that guy has the new GM Procomp block!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah your wasting time with that guy.
what are you doing on a chevy forum anyway????
It's not a Chevy only board. We are discussing the rules for the series I run in and they want to add weight to anything over a 4.84 bore space. I think that is very unfair. My point was, how can they easily tech bore spacing? It would be hard to determine this with the heads off of the car let alone with them on it and this dumb a** says all you have to do is measure the width of the intake.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think if you measured front to back where the cylinder bolt on the block on a 4.9 spacing and 5.0 spacing there should be a difference.
That would be one way to easily check.
There are only so many blocks out there with a 5.0 spacing. Should be about .400 longer.
Just a guess here.
good luck explaining that one to the dummy.
later
alan

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
The bore spacing would have to be measured from the centerline of one bore to the next. You could probably do this accurately enough if you simply measured the bore diameters and the distance between them using something like a dial caliper. The engines with a larger bore spacing will have larger cylinders while still having more material between them where the cylinders are next to one another.

The difference between the bore spacing for a Ford or Chevy big block isn't all that much but the Ford is slightly wider. Deck height is higher on a standard Ford block than a standard "car" Chevy block but if you factor in the truck block they are very close to the height of the Ford. This has nothing to do with bore spacing and the bore spacing is the same on either Big Chevy block tall or short.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Measure from sparkplug to sparkplug is the way the tech inspectors do it, when there is a max bore space rule.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts