460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if the mcleod street twin clutch would be a good investment or should I be looking at an even stronger clutch. Currently I have been running a ram 2800# PP with an 11" 6 puck metallic clutch. That has held to 600 rwtq but will slip into 4th gear with a 100 shot of nitrous. I have a big input toploader(1 3/8 - 10 spl.) and I noticed that summit has started carrying mcleod and they have a listing for a 12" street twin that is supposedly good to 1200 hp, but I know that hp ratings are funny :oops: You can make all the horsepower in the world, and still only have a couple hundred pounds of torque :?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Before I went dry sump, lowered the engine and changed to a smaller diameter 5 plate carbon fiber clutch I used the Street Twin and found it quite satisfactory. At that time the engine was smaller and making 800 HP. I would be inclined to give it a try, but you're just as well off asking the tech. guy at McLeod, especially if it is the same guy as it was 7-8 years ago. I always thought they were straight shooters - same goes for Tilton.

Like Fab Shop says - just talk to Red. Glad he is still there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Clutches

I have wasted more money on clutches than any 3 fools should. It all stoped whem I bought a Mcleod soft lock sintered iron clutch. Our junk goes 8.60's at 152. Old car went 9 flat at 146{3000 lbs}. I have serviced my clutch once out of guilt. Call Red at Mcleod.

www.thefabshopheaders.com

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any ideas on the billet steel, or the billet aluminum flywheel. I've been running an aluminum one and I figure that it will spin the tires even worse if I put in the steel one. I'm not sure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts