460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have been getting from him recently is how I need to put a smaller engine in it and not race it. That racing is expensive.

And that with the amount of work I have put, and will put in it that I dont need to race it also. That it will be too nice to race. Or that Ill have too mutch in it to race it.

This is only something that I have wanted to do since I was like 14, and now Im finally doing it.

Any time I talk about what I want to do with the engine and he starts on about how I need to do something else engine wise...I feel all torn inside.

No one else has any money in this but ME!

Now I could see what hes saying if it was my only source of transportaton, but its not.

I will add...

I pay for college, my ranger, health costs, gas, cell phone. I never ask them for money.

Also my dad is a computer geek type, complete opposite from me.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Does your Dad have a hobby or "toy" he's passionate about? If so compare your passion for racing this truck to his and maybe he can understand.

If you can afford to do it... that's all that matters. Some folks waste money on way more useless stuff. Tell him your other choice is crack cocain and he'll probably lighten up. :lol:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
BBBob_M said:
Does your Dad have a hobby or "toy" he's passionate about? If so compare your passion for racing this truck to his and maybe he can understand.

If you can afford to do it... that's all that matters. Some folks waste money on way more useless stuff. Tell him your other choice is crack cocain and he'll probably lighten up. :lol:

That's funny.
My wife said to me once she wished I was on crack. It would be cheaper than cars

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, I really don't think he has any hobbies, or at least any that are active now. He works, comes home watches tv, and sleeps...repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Parents... can't live with em, can't fit them in a freezer :lol:

Sometimes us parents don't say what is on our minds, we just expect you to pick up on what we mean. It is possible that he wants you to stuff some cash in the bank for a rainy day, a house or family. Surprise him... figure out a budget and actually stick some cash in a savings account to show him you are a responsible type, invite him to a swap meet or 2 and look for bargains so he doesn't think you are just blowing every dollar you save. Ask for a helping hand once in a while when you are wrenching, bleed your brakes if you have to, wire some trailer lights, whatever... include him in whatever you can, he may not be around forever. Take some pictures. Sometimes we just want to be a part of what you have going on.

Tom

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hopefully you can include your dad in some of the project stuff. The reason I've given up on my '69 mustang is because now that I have most of the parts I need, my dad won't take 15 minutes out of his day to help me pull the mock-up engine out of the car. He's promised a lot, but contributed very close to zero over the 8 years I've had the car. Keep pluggin' at it, and do it your way because it's your truck and you ought to know best what would make you happiest with it.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
mudbogtom said:
Parents... can't live with em, can't fit them in a freezer :lol:

Sometimes us parents don't say what is on our minds, we just expect you to pick up on what we mean. It is possible that he wants you to stuff some cash in the bank for a rainy day, a house or family. Surprise him... figure out a budget and actually stick some cash in a savings account to show him you are a responsible type, invite him to a swap meet or 2 and look for bargains so he doesn't think you are just blowing every dollar you save. Ask for a helping hand once in a while when you are wrenching, bleed your brakes if you have to, wire some trailer lights, whatever... include him in whatever you can, he may not be around forever. Take some pictures. Sometimes we just want to be a part of what you have going on.

Tom
Can't top this advice. Communicate with him, exactly as you have with "us". As stated, show him a clear budget and plan, and give him a reason "why" you're doing this. He's just looking out for your best interest, that's what Dads do...but I think they forget the "fun" aspect of life a bit because they are weighed down with responsibilities. Be proactive and show him you're balancing practicality while still enjoying life, I bet he'll understand. I'm guessing you could teach your old man a few things in that category along the way, sounds like he needs to get out of his rut (no offense intended, just see it happen so many times with parents I knew/know).

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I think Chilly and Tom gave you some really great advice. include you father in some of your car stuff and ask for help. A parent sometimes just want to help out, enjoy it while you can. I lost my Father this year and I miss him badly. He use to come to the races and watch, he could listen when I came back down the return road and knew when something wasn't right and came to the pits and helped me tune many times...

Let him feel he has some importance in your life, and hobby...Make him feel like he is needed and wanted..
be surprised how much you and him will enjoy it...and it will give you some priceless memories...

Randy

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
On the maiden voyage of my truck this year, my dad was there. He was one proud papa. He did some pit crew stuff, and helped with little things. He is not really a gearhead type and was always after me to quit playing with them darn pickups, but when we fired up that monster and started kicking butt he was grins ear to ear. :lol:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How old are you? See if you can get Dad to help in any way.You gotta have some fun and you gotta have a dream. Because Someday never comes.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
That sounds exactly like my Dad did when I was starting this crazy venture about 30 years ago. I was like you wanting my Dad's approval.I had a 66 Comet(still do) that he got for me when I was in school. He hated for me to spend money on it.Especially to race it. I won alot of races ,but he wasn't hardly ever there,always the same smart azz question on Sunday ..well how much money did you win last night? That always pee'd me off bigtime. I bought my Mustang while he was in Florida for the winter..when he got home..I could hardly wait to hear him on me about it, but to my surprise he was all for it?? I think it's all because they were raised in harder times than us ,and they had to worry where every penny went or came from. Before my Dad died ,he was biggest fan .I'm just so glad we got to go racing some before he passed..Don't let your Dad bring you down ,what your doing is just a different path than he's taken ,and Dad's are always right :wink: but we've got to live our own lives. He'll come around someday ,just don't let him get to you and enjoy your truck,besides it's alot safer to race it than drive it on the street where someone else can run into it.Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Dude that never stops! Friends, co-workers brothers, sisters or your WIFE

I'm 42 and the two main things they say to me about my race care is...

1. Man that thing is a money pit, you will never get that money back
2. I know this guy who died from racing

My buffer to this is my wife loves that the only thing I do is hang out with my sons working on the car and going to the track as a family racing TEAM.

Get use to it because it will never stop!

You only have one Dad, by all means necessary get him involved use that geek-ness to your advantage. Ask him to setup the electronics or something to that nature.

And if he still doesn't come around, make him call LEM! :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Great advice from everybody here, one thing that may also help, when you're up and running, give him a ride, I bet he'll get a big ole grin on his face.
But don't take his criticism too seriously, he is only looking out for your best interests, us Dads are like that, when my kid came home with a Buell, I puckered up hard, but he's doing okay with it, and I ride it as much as he does! Have fun with your Dad while you can, that's something you will never regret.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
My Dad always said that drag racing is one of the dumbest things in the world. He said the only thing dumber was football. He always talked a bunch of crap when I was a kid. Now that I have built a few cars, and taken him for a ride, he has changed his tune. My cars aren't even fast. They're just faster than he remembers his were. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
What uf63 said, "someday will never come", I'm 61, still looking for someday, me and my wife in bad health so it looks as if I have missed it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It never stops either.... Pier pressure from frends and coworkers and other family members.... Just wait till you get married! (if you aren't already).
I was told for years and years.... "Why don't you sell all those old cars and buy a new one?!?" At the time I had two 69 Stangs (one running one not), a clean 66 Fairlane hardtop daily driver, a 71 F100 with a 429 CJ, and a cherry 74 Kawasaki Z1 (pre-KZ) I managed to keep the big block 4-speed 69 Mach1 all these years despite pressure to sell it constantly.

What would that "new" late-80's Ford Tempo be worth now?

·
Registered
176 Posts
OldRedFord said:
Also my dad is a computer geek type, complete opposite from me.
Here is the kicker, tell him you're going to need his help, 'cause you're going
to injection...

My old man gave me lots-o-crap about my cars, when I got out of the Navy
I bought a '72 Capri, back then there were lots of hot rod parts in the market,
including turbo kits, which I promptly bought and installed on the stock 2.6L
V6, went from 120HP to 200HP in an afternoon. Pop was pissed that I'd spend
that much money on my only car, and that I'd probably blow it up. He was wrong, but
it made him feel better to get his opinion out there...

I had that car until last year, when the body succumbed to the salt air here at the beach,
I still have the engine, and it is going to wind up in my '73 MG-B-GT...

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
bcr466 said:
What uf63 said, "someday will never come", I'm 61, still looking for someday, me and my wife in bad health so it looks as if I have missed it.
:( :( Don't give up on your dreams :) I will say a prayer for you and your wife's health.OLE RED FORD, Think about what he said, Do your dreams if you can because if you let them go, you will regret it. :wink: LOL Rick

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
My folks divorced when I was 12, my dad is the total opposite of any kind of car stuff. Step dad was no help either, if anything my grandad got me started in the automotive repair industry keeping his old junk running.

My older step brother had a cool 66 Chevelle and street raced a bunch, so if anything I can thank him for my hobby of choice. Other than that its always been my own money, sweat and desire to fuel my drag race addiction.

I met some guys tonight that used to live down the street from me like 17 years ago, they were just kids then but they said they remembered me spending all my time in the garage working on the car which I still have and race today, its al lot faster, but still they remebered it. Both kids now grown up have their own drag cars, not the fastest, but still. They said I was their inspiration, kinda cool, all I did was what I loved doing and indirectly influenced someone else the same way.............pretty cool. The older brother said he remember the night I punched a hole in the wall, I dont rmember the reason other than the pile of crap prolly broke something lol.

If you are passionate about somthing dont give up on it, dont hurt others in the process, but by all means do what you like to do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts