460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stripped bolt to the mechanical pump. I guess the PO was hamfisted or whatever.
When I replaced the pump I wondered why it was jammed full of rtv, now I know.
My idea is just to get another bolt, little longer and attempt to nut it. Not a lot of space here though probably won't work. The back side has a little space but I'm not sure there is enough for a nut there.
Does anyone know if that will work, or what was your method for fixing?
Helicoil does not look like an easy job at all, I think I'd rather block it off and go electric than attempt that job.
I'd rather just keep the mechanical but I know it bouncing off the block is not a good thing.
Just maybe someone here has dealt with this situation and could save some misery?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helicoils are super easy to do, however for the first time it may seem daunting.
They are when you have space. right angle drill might work but than need to worry about keeping her straight.
not fun or super easy
I also forgot to mention this is the bolt closest to you when looking at the pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried to run a tap through it? If it’s 3/8 maybe you could tap it to 10mm. If it’s 5/16 you could tap it to 8mm.
no, the thought didn't cross my mind, but it's a very good idea.
There are threads there, it holds the bolt sort of. So I will try that with a new bolt too.
It looks different than the back bolt so who knows if it ever fit proper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if anyone knows this or can confirm, are the bolts 3/8-16? I can't get back into the engine for a day or so and I'd like to order the tap before getting back into it. I think they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts