460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas -

Hey, figured there are a few do it yourselfers out there, and I could use some advice.

I'm renting a house that has an older (1989) GE electric stove/microwave unit. The microwave unit is mounted up above the stove, and it would appear that the top of the unit can be unbolted. The door is broken on the microwave; still works, but I have to use a icepick or corkscrew to pry the door open each time. I looked for repair parts, and it looks like the parts alone are about $200, and I'm not even sure if this is the right stuff.

I'm guessing that the only smart thing to do here is either to replace the entire unit, at a fairly substantial cost, or just purchase a separate microwave for the countertop, but figured I would check with y'all since home repairs are not my specialty.

FYI - landlord is a good guy, military like me, and don't think he has much $ to sink into the house, so looking for something that won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Go buy a counter top one for less than $100. You could try and find a GE service center, get the model # off of it and give them a call. Maybe it is just a little $5 part. It just depends how far you are willing to go with it. Counter top is cheap and easy though.

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just bought a new one for $200 at home depot.
You can find the proper one for a reasonable price. they unbolt from the cupboard above. They're real nice if counter space is at a premium. Plus keep it in place, its your rangehood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts