460 Ford Forum banner

Mid 70s 460 valve clearance

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pedal2themetal45 
#1 ·
Hi hi, I am curious as to what the recommended clearances are for adjusting valves. I have some feeler gauges and have a tick that seems to worsen after being heated up and had two peeps mentioned valve adjustment. I've read that a general recommendation is minimum .080 for intake and .100 for exhaust. Should I do this or is there a more specific clearance I should do?

#5 ·
HI, HHHMMM. If its a stock 460 I don't think the valves are adjustable. unless someone has replaced the rockers for adjustable ones? Now you might have a bent push rod or a clasping lifter.. you can pull the rockers off and pull the push rod and roll it on a flat surface and see that it rolls true. Make shure when you put the back in you get them in the lifter pocket.
You can use a piece of hose and isolate the noise to a set spot by putting one end to your ear and move the other end around the motor touching the valve cover..
OH those setting numbers look big to me..
good luck be safe
tim

#7 ·
HI, HHHMMM. If its a stock 460 I don't think the valves are adjustable. unless someone has replaced the rockers for adjustable ones? Now you might have a bent push rod or a clasping lifter.. you can pull the rockers off and pull the push rod and roll it on a flat surface and see that it rolls true. Make shure when you put the back in you get them in the lifter pocket.
You can use a piece of hose and isolate the noise to a set spot by putting one end to your ear and move the other end around the motor touching the valve cover..
OH those setting numbers look big to me..
good luck be safe
tim
I've seen that they do and don't, hard to get solid answers it seems on things. What's a clasping lifter?

#8 ·
A stock mid 70s 460 will have hydraulic lifters and non adjustable rocker arms. If the cam has been swapped for a solid lifter one then there will be lash that will need to be set at the rockers. A tapping could be a loose rocker nut, collapsed lifter, bent pushrod, worn out cam lobe, etc…

what heads do you have?
Any mods that you know of?

#9 ·
I bought the motor from someone, I haven't done anything like a cam yet or of the sort. I put ford racing covers on that's about it as far as cam or head upgrades. I know it's getting to much gas so ima take the carb off and clean it and make sure things aren't stuck. I plan to get the push rods to. What torque specs do the rocker nuts need?

#10 ·
Maybe some pics of it or a pic with one of the valve covers off will help one of us answer your questions and be able to help you out. There are a lot of very experienced people on this forum that are more than happy to help as long as we have the information needed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.