460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever came across factory rods that weren't in the correct number sequence?....I was cleaning all the stock rods out of my 86' 5.0 when I noticed mine are numbered: 1 3 3 4 5 6 7 8 ......weird huh?..being all the bearings are the factory ford stuff I know its virgin so..I guess the quality control guy was in the john at the moment!......My machinist is going to have a strange look on his face when I show up to get the new slugs pressed on the rods!:D......Speaking of quality control I have a new set of speedpro "weight matched" flat tops and after weighing them all I found that 5 were 761g, 2 were 762, and 1 was 764. The last one has a bit more casting flash left than the others. I figured 3 and 2 gram difference wasn't too shabby. I was really expecting them to be at least 5 grams of difference...These are the hypers also.....they weigh a little more than I thought they would, but a little cleanup ought to even the weight out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I pulled apart my 460 years ago, thinking it was original, and it had 4 standard rods and 4 CJ rods. Never found out what the story was.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
My 460 had 5 car rods with the rectangle heads and 3 with th etruck rods with the football heads. It had been rebuilt by a reman factory tho.

Sounds like a friday deal!!

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
when i pull my 460 short block apart they had renumbered my rod so when i pulled the pistons i checked and they must to have messed up when putting the new pistons on all the wrist pin was right with the new #s I personally dont like doing that but it was already built when i got it

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea.....weird thing with this engine is its never been apart in its life......down to the ford bearings and everything......98k orig. miles...I'm the first to crack it open. Ford gaskets and bearings......30+years of crude and rods number 1,3,3,4,5,6,7,8......oh well.:D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
saw a small chevy with one main cap installed backwards... Line bored that way from the factory. Bearing tang was on the correct side but all the letters cast into the cap were backwards from the other caps.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saw a small chevy with one main cap installed backwards... Line bored that way from the factory. Bearing tang was on the correct side but all the letters cast into the cap were backwards from the other caps.

I bet that one was a "what the hell??"

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Had an L48 corvette years ago, tore the 30k mile motor down to freshen and do a little rubbin and found 1 rod throw .010 under from the factory. It was even color coded green.......

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had an L48 corvette years ago, tore the 30k mile motor down to freshen and do a little rubbin and found 1 rod throw .010 under from the factory. It was even color coded green.......
Now that would definately be weird!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I always thought the oval headed bolts were on CJ rods, but you guys are referring to them as truck rods?
From what I understand, they are the same. The CJ's used the heavy duty truck rods.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts