460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys quick question im rebuilding my 460 and while taking out the pistons i efed up and didnt have the crank in the right spot therefor getting the piston stuck, so i attempted to take off the piston rings and broke the top compression ring. the motor is very newly built but the guy who checked my rods was a complete jack ***. so it wiped some bearings and efed my crank, luckily i have anotherone, but my main question is can i use the old rings on the pistons and just replace the one i broke since the rings arent even broke in yet. like this motor has less than 200 miles on it. i ordered a whole new set but just replacing those would really save time and hassle. any opinions comments, concerns with the idea??

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
rings

well if it were me I would use the old ring in one hole, just take a look at the old rings an make sure its the top ring and make sure it has enough tension when you install it, it should be fine and good luck friend :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok the only problem im running into is the ring construction is different, the old ones are square, and the new ones are the bt10 the beveled. i put the new ones on the ones that were busted but the rest seemed to have plenty of tendion and all the tolerances felt good.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would check piston clearance, rehone (with a fixed hone). Use the new rings and check their clearance in the piston. Then check/set the ring gaps. I'd also put all the caps on, rods and mains and run a good bore gauge through them. Make sure they are straight and round. Then put the bearings all in their bores, torque and check their clearances with the bore gauge. Something is wrong, you had trouble & now is the time to find out just why. You make your own luck in engine building.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts