460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut 3" out of the 3/4"shaft at the top u joint down and welded in a 3" piece of 7/16 grade 8 bolt for header clearence i used the shank part not the treaded part of the bolt and i'm wondering if its safe or should start over with a piece of 3/4 and weld the u joints back on and move the headertube instead. All the kits i see are no less than 3/4"rod.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm really picky about modifying anything steering, Especially Welding on the parts. I'd look at some Flaming River Joints and Shaft Parts, they are a little pricy but really nice stuff and very sturdy.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Part of the answer would depend on exactly how the job was done. But regardless of how it was done, we are talking about welding on heat treatable steels with no annealing or re-heat treating. Although many get away with it, I have done it myself, you are asking for trouble you hopefully won't get.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Steering > Headers

A header with a dent does not have the potential to kill you.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What Al said X2

Welding on a grade 8 bolt without a post heat and cool down procedure is pretty scary.

Even then you really have no idea what you end up with.

No steering, high speed, hurtling missile with wide eyed frantic passenger equals bad news :shock: :shock:

dkp

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input i don't know what i was thinking i guess i didn't want to cut or bash my $500 headers so now i have a wacked up steering shaft that i welded the 3/4 piece back in and cut headers. Now i know why they charge so much for custom headers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You can safely modify yoru steering. Don't use a bolt, use the proper material & have a competent TIG welder do the work. Too much chance for a MIG weld to sit on top of the metal & "bridge", especially with a rookie weldor.

John.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its all in the headers been cut and moved around the steering arm and i got plenty of clearence now. Will be
testin it this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts