460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted over in the engine tech section about carb to hood clearance and decided to go for a little more just so I could run a pair of supersucker spacers if I would like.

Here are some pictures. I have took some plexiglass and used it for an extension and an outside mold. Before the scoop set right on the vent tubes with no clearance. So I put a 2" section in the sides and rear of the scoop to net a 1" gain above the vent tubes. As it is pictured it has 3/8 spacers under the carbs now.

I will glass the inside in tommorow morning.

Travis

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You could have also used some sheet aluminum (waxed) as the mold/dam material as well. But I don't really know if one material would really be any better than the other to mold the extensions. If I remember correctly the weird/alien looking dual opening scoop I made for the ugly Willys a friend has only ended up with around 1" to 1.25" clearance from the bowl vent to the top of the scoop & it seemed to be enough air flow. ~[edit] just checked and it was actually closer to 1 3/4"~

If you have room to work inside the scoop you might want to grind back/feather the leading edges of the old fiberglass so there will be less thickness build up where the patch section over laps the old 'glass.

Gotta love the Boss 9 & tear drop type scoops on these older cars. :D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Travis http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/catalogue.html

these people make 5, 7, and I think 9 inch scoops

Randy
Randy.
Wish I knew about those guys before hand. I did some research before I bought the 5 1/2" scoop off of someone, but it was the largest I could find at the time. I think that 7" scoop would have been perfect for me. Well if this don't work out I will give these guys a call. Thanks for the link.

Travis

·
Registered
545 Posts
You have a PM

Randy.
Wish I knew about those guys before hand. I did some research before I bought the 5 1/2" scoop off of someone, but it was the largest I could find at the time. I think that 7" scoop would have been perfect for me. Well if this don't work out I will give these guys a call. Thanks for the link.

Travis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts